Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter
  • Firmware Update: DS1 v109

DS1 v109 is now available!

Updates:
    - Improved button response. 
    - Fixed startup issue where errant messages would be sent.
    - Fixed various bugs related to Sysex messaging protocol. 

The firmware is available for download here:
    http://lividinstruments.com/dl/firmware/ds1_109.hex.zip

Note for Mac OS X Users: This update requires Livid Firmware Update 1.17 (or newer), available for download here:
    http://lividinstruments.com/dl/firmware/Livid_Firmware_Update_117_osx.zip

The newest version bootloader application and the latest firmwares are always available for download on our wiki.
  • DS1 Help
    @LoganEdwards:  I suspect you are doing something fundamentally wrong, or perhaps you are using an outdated version of Live?  If you can send me your log.txt I can probably make heads or tails of it, here's some info on where to find it:

@PremEyE:  I can confirm #2, and I think it's the same issue as #1 at it's root.  I'm not sure if it's the script causing this or a firmware problem, but I'll get it sorted and get back to you.  Thanks for reporting :)

a

• Cell DNA work within LIVE

I'm trying to check out the demo and it says 

Put the DNA-Control.amxd file into your Max For Live MIDI effects folder:

I put it in the Midi Effects Group cause I don't see a sub group named Max Midi Effects but I do see it in the device list in LIVE. 

*OSX: /Users/yowstar/Library/Application Support/Ableton/Library/Presets/MIDI Effects/Max MIDI Effect/

Start Ableton Live and open a new set (or a current project). 

Open the Live Devices browser and navigate to /MIDI Effects/Max MIDI Effect/ where you will find the  CellDNA-Control device.  

But I don't see it in my Max Midi Effect folder?

Also, all the clips in the demo have disappeared, no clips in preset #1

Thanks,

Charlie 

• Help with Base button mode.

Hi, I just purchased a Base controller to use with my lighting software. I'm new to this midi stuff, and i'm still learning the editor. I'm having an issue making the buttons do what I want them to.

I need the pads to be in toggle mode (stay on when i push them) but I need to only be able to have one on at a time. Example being if I press pad #1, it should send midi note on and no nothing when released(I want the led to stay on though, so I know its activated) Then If I press pad #2, it should do the same, but turn pad #1 off.

Can someone help me achieve this?
  • My LED matrix seems very unreliable, help me understand what's going on...

Hallo,

I'm using a Brain v.1 connected to a windows xp sp3 
    I created a LED matrix of 4 colums x 8 rows (even if the 1st col has only 4 rows connected).

I assigned a mix of notes value and CCs in the Led Matrix map of Brain configure  (i.e. some leds responds to note ON and others to CC).

If I send test note (or CC) from the Brain Configure, the Led Matrix always behaves ok (i.e. the intended LED lights on).
    When I finished the configuration I always click the "Save to Brain" button.

The problem:
    Very often, when I restart the computer, it look like the matrix is "misunderstud" by the Brain: the LEDs of the column n. 2 respond to "notes" of col. n. 1, those of col 3 respond to notes of col #2, those of col. 4 respond to col 3, and the ones on the col #1 are turned on by notes of col. 4.

It looks like all the matrix has shifted down... I don't now how to explain... now what was the column 2 is the 1, and so on.

It looks like taht  at the initialisation time, the Brain started "numbering" the columns from the second column (so that it became the number one).

This happens very often but randomly: sometimes when I restart the computer the matrix is ok, more often it shows that problem.

I reconfigured the Brain a lot of time, but without solving the problem.

Now, I understand that my explanation isn't thatt's great, and my english is a mess... but if you can help me I'm more than willing to perform any test you should need, and to send you any other piece of information to try to understand and solve the problem.

many many thanks in advance!

Stefano

p.s. The Analog Map (32 analog-in are active) and the buttons matrix (4 columns x 8 rows) work fine.

UPDATE: I just reconfigured the LED mapping using a different computer (running Vista) then I connected the Brain to the former one (the computer running XP and running my musicla software) but the problem is the same: this time the 3rd column become the 1st. :-(
  • I need a LED that lights up when the Brain v1 is on and enabled

Hallo, I'm approaching the end of my Hammond MIDI controller building (here a lot of post with a lot of pictures)

I'm using a Brain V1

I would like to have a led on my controller that lights up when the Brain is connected and the host is enabled.

Is there a pin where I can "bring out" such a signal? a sort of "replica" of the built-in led soldered directly on the brain surface

I was reading the wiki about the External Header JP3 and the pin #9 (RG3/!SHDN) or #13(VDD) or #14(VCC) but I'm not sure it's safe to use it and I don't know which one to choose.

Thanks 

Stefano
  • Code 2: initialisation strategy

Hello there,

So I am plugging the code2 at the back of the DSI tetra, which has 400 parameters for one patch.
    The idea is that when a new patch is loaded, the code2 will receive these 400 parameters (more or less).
    For this, I will have to make use of the 4 banks.

Question:
    I want to loop through the banks using program change and for each send for each a bunch of sysex:

plus other will be one off sort of stuff

So does this think reasonable enough?

Cheers
  • First Build! Need Advice :D

I think you'll want to follow one of these instructions depending on which Omni board you are using (RGB or regular):
    http://wiki.lividinstruments.com/wiki/Omni_Board#16B_.2816_Buttons.29
    http://wiki.lividinstruments.com/wiki/Omni_RGB

• Brain Jr.: Any way to change MIDI channel on the fly?

Hello Moon.  Thanks for the response.  The sysex message doesn't really help me, but it's good to know that each control can send on its own MIDI channel.  In that case, there are two ways to achieve (easy) user control of the MIDI channel: (1) assigning some control to change the 'global' MIDI channel, which would require individual controls to have some type of 'follow global' option for their MIDI channel assignment (otherwise they would use their assigned MIDI channel), or (2) using some control to select presets, which would swap in a different set of controller assignments for all controls when a different preset is selected.  #2 affects the editor much more (and memory on the microcontroller), so #1 is probably the easier solution to implement.  Presets are more flexible, however.  It would be nice to be able to map buttons to presets, so pushing a button recalls a preset (and the LED associated with the button lights up).  I doubt anyone would need more than 4 presets...

But it would be a significant firmware change either way, and maybe there aren't enough people interested in this functionality to make it worth the effort.  A Novation Launch Control has 16 pots, 8 buttons, and 8 user presets and costs $80.  Probably the best option for me at this time...  
  • seamless integration of Alias 8 ?

Regarding the editor - what browser are you using? Strange that it is stuck in "fetch settings" mode. 

Regarding #1 -  If you want to run it locally, it's easy. Just open the folder, find "index.html" and double click: http://wiki.lividinstruments.com/wiki/Online_Editor#Offline_Version
    I need to get rid of the "How This Works" document in that package - apologies for the confusion.
    Regarding #2, I think Jay misunderstood - it is not possible to have different settings in each bank. Each bank is differentiated only by channel. All banks have the same CC/note and toggle/momentary settings. However, the Alias8 always listens for changes to LED states on all banks, so the LEDs can be updated, even if the current bank is not loaded.
    Regarding changing banks programatically: you can use program change messages, sent on the settings channel (by default, channel 16). Program Change values 0-14 will change the active bank.
  • seamless integration of Alias 8 ?

Regarding the editor - what browser are you using? Strange that it is stuck in "fetch settings" mode. 

Regarding #1 -  If you want to run it locally, it's easy. Just open the folder, find "index.html" and double click: http://wiki.lividinstruments.com/wiki/Online_Editor#Offline_Version
    I need to get rid of the "How This Works" document in that package - apologies for the confusion.
    Regarding #2, I think Jay misunderstood - it is not possible to have different settings in each bank. Each bank is differentiated only by channel. All banks have the same CC/note and toggle/momentary settings. However, the Alias8 always listens for changes to LED states on all banks, so the LEDs can be updated, even if the current bank is not loaded.
    Regarding changing banks programatically: you can use program change messages, sent on the settings channel (by default, channel 16). Program Change values 0-14 will change the active bank.
  • Base "Shift" Button

Hi 

I'm looking to make a manual/user setup with Ableton 9 and Base.
    What I want to do it's to have chains of fx to control and since i don't have enough sliders, i want to use the upper buttons as kind of "shift" button, that will allow me to use same sliders for different devices.
    for example if upper button #1 is enabled it will control/send midi from sliders a1, a2, .., a8
    if upper button #2 is enabled it will send from sliders b1, b2, .. b2
    and etc.

is it possible?

Thanks!
  • Cell DNA Not Responding
    QuickTime 7.7.4 

Java installed (Version 7 Update 45)

.NET v4.0.30319

• Ohm 64 - switch off lights?

Hello there!

Recently I wanted to switch back some of the lights on my Ohm 64 on to use with Cell DNA. After changing them round in Ohm Editor they started acting a bit weird - like all the middle 64 clip buttons wouldn't like up (all apart from almost the bottom two rows). 

So anyhow after a bit of fiddling around I decided to just do a factory reset and all the lights stayed on when I fired up Cell DNA. So far so good.

But now the word thing is when I trigger a clip (like #1) the clip next to it (#2) is triggered and that button light goes out. Happens with all the clip triggers - even #64 triggers #1.* 

Whassup with that? Any ideas for a fix please?

Muchas gracias! 

* (All the others knobs/sliders/buttons appear to trigger the correctly assigned things.)
  • Brain Jr. with Omni board.

You can easily make a 16 knob and 16 button/led midi controller using 1 Brain Jr. and 1 Omni Shield. The shield connects to all of the pin headers on the Brain jr. and adapts them to 10pin ribbon cable headers.
    Follow these instructions, then instead of connecting to a brain v2, connect to brain jr!
    http://wiki.lividinstruments.com/wiki/Omni_Board#16B_.2816_Buttons.29
    http://wiki.lividinstruments.com/wiki/Omni_Board#16K_.2816_Rotary_Potentiometers.29
    There will be more documentation for shields and kits coming soon!

• Base editor and Windows 8.1

Hi All

I am currently using Windows 8.1 (not by choice!) and feel that the online editor does not work well in it.  It could, of course, be user error, however switching to a PC with windows 7 seemed to fix all issues.  Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Now to the fun part, trying to explain whats going on.  Let me first describe what I am trying to setup. I am trying to make seven banks all the same apart from Midi channel, kept at default settings. Each page has a unique color on all pads/buttons/faders 7 of the 8 momentary buttons select the banks, the right side LED color corresponding to the bank's color. MIDI assignment is as follows: Drum Pads (Note 1-32)  Faders (CC 1-8) Buttons (CC 9-16) Master Fader (CC 17).
    I have all LED local control disabled to start, select bottom left drum pad, assign it to note#1, note output is checked, all others unchecked, mode=ccs.
    I then hit group to assign the other 31 pads in sequence.For LED, selected bottom left pad, assigned color, assigned Note#1 and hit group. At this point i have all the pads doing exactly what I want so I save to device.
    Faders - Select Fader 1, CC#1, all options unchecked, LED style=Walk, Color=(Bank Color).. Changing the color has no effect with local control on or off. Apart from that all seems to work correct.
    Buttons - Select button#1, assign Note/CC# 9, Mode=CC Toggle disabled, No Special.  With LED color, when i selected drum pad color, the buttons changed also, The actual color shown in the inspector does not correspond to actual color I see. If I change the color of the Buttons, everything except the 8 faders change color too but only on the first change, after that I have individual control of the button.
    Master Fader - Same setup as Faders with CC#17
    So after some fiddling with color settings all seems to fine, so I save to device. To confirm that all is saved I switched bank, waited for editor to catch up then switched back, waited again then proceeded to check all was good.  Definitely not good!
    Drum pads - Pad 1 is ok, Pad 2, LED is set to note 66, pad 3-9 is CC#2-8,  Pad 9-17 is Note 74-81, Pad 18-32 is Note 17-31
    Faders - All seem fine although still wrong color.
    Buttons - The setting are correct, however pressing the buttons produce more weirdness in the editor Button 1 - OK Button 2 - Selects Pad 10, Button 3-8 - Selects Pad 12-17!

At this point after several re-attempts and quite a bit of cursing and hair pulling, I thought best to quit, register on the forum and share my findings in hope for resolution, whether it be confirmation of the issue or that I'm doing something stupid. Either would make my day!!

Thanks for Listening! 

Richie

• Brain Jr Components compatibility issues...

Hi again Mark,

Here are some setup & compatible components pics you requested…
    Thanks!! God bless!!

P.

Trial setup #1:

- (4) rotary pots [see below digikey specs]--GOOD!; (2) 50mm ThinPots--GOOD! http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?mpart=TSP-L-0050-103-1%25-RH&vendor=905; (2) Momentary switches [please see specs below]; 30mm fader [NOT working good… jumping heavily from very blow readings to 127…] 

• Elements : 16B notes are triggering uncontrollably

Thanks, Mark! 

As your suggestion, the streaming is now STOP! Hooray!!! 
    BUT, another problem is both of my 16Bs some of the buttons still not working properly.

NOTE#1 : The buttons that are circled in the screenshot are suddenly stop working.
    NOTE#2 : On individually tested, EVERY buttons on both 16Bs were working.

• bootloader mode L.I. CODE ?!

if you want help you need to calm down. You can't just keep throwing inaccurate statements and think someone is going to want to help you.

#1 We do have a service center in Europe, Germany actually.

#2 Yes this unit is completely reprogrammable, bootloader has nothing to do with that statement

#3 We never advertised bootloader as part of this controller when it was released. We only developed that technology later.

#4 I think you are very mistaken about the code+grid script not working without the new firmware. Why do you think you need this, and furthermore what do you think it will do for you?