Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter

Standoff and Spacer Usage : Looking for examples of final Brain (jr.) placement in projects

edited February 2014 in Hardware

Hey everyone - the Livid wiki has all sorts of hardware and software information for how to get your projects working with a bunch of wires/boards laying around, but I can't seem to find any good examples of structural design. Where are brains usually placed within one's enclosure? How are they attached (along with push boards)? I understand that the beauty of this is that its different every time, so is there a good resource I can be pointed to that is a collection of individual experiences with this sort of thing?

I can so far only figure out the mounting of a board on a thin surface that can be accessed from the bottom. For example - with my pushbuttons, I have a machine screw going into the top of a keypad spacer, then through the silicon keypad itself, then through the mounting hole in the circuit board, then through a hex standoff. This would be easy to mount to a piece of sheet metal - place rest of screw through a hole in the sheet and close it off on the other side with a nut. But how would one permanently mount a circuit board to something that could not be accessed from the bottom (to secure the nut on the end of the screw)? For example, embedding a circuit in a deep, solid wood box.

basically - how do you guys end up putting all your shit together?

Thanks,
Zach

Comments

• I am trying to follow this. If I I were to build a controller in a solid wood box (which is basically the early ohm's), I would first mount the brain to the bottom of the box with wood screws. Then build everything else onto the faceplate. Connect the ribbon cables and screw down the faceplate to the box. Please let me know if this makes sense.

• Hmm sorry "solid box" is possibly confusing - it's not a box in that there is no space inside. How about a "solid wood block" And if that's what's u we're talking about- how would you mount a circuit board on the bottom of something?

What I'm talking about is embedding things in material - no access to bottom from otherside. Haha sounds silly but I am trying to embed a push board in a log - I can't come in from other side because log is a foot or so deep

Thanks!

• I am not sure If I can be of much help. The only thing I can think of is to carve out a hole with a dremel tool and glue the push board down in the hole of the log. Attach a faceplat over the top. Or split the log in half and carve out the insides, mount the board then glue the log halves back together.

?????
  • yeah what i ended up doing was dremeling out a hole - put spacers between the wood and the board, and drilling into the wood (through the holes of the board) with narrow wood screws.

thanks for your concern! ill post pictures when im done
  • yeah what i ended up doing was dremeling out a hole - put spacers between the wood and the board, and drilling into the wood (through the holes of the board) with narrow wood screws.

thanks for your concern! ill post pictures when im done
  • Great! Looking forward to the pictures :)