Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter
  • RGB Wiring

Hello,

I do not have the breakout shield unfortunately, it has been out of stock I believe. I would definitely like to purchase one if you have one available? I sent a very detailed support ticket the other day, with all the information regarding the issue I’m experiencing. The first two LED’s are reacting properly to the signal from their dedicated IR sensor; but the third is not, even though there is signal coming from the sensor. LED #3 is turning on, but it does not change colors based on the signal from the sensor, like the other 2 LED's do. This is how I’m connecting the RGB LED’s to the Brain Jr.:

• code / disable local control and still update LED ring

Hi Moon, 

thanks for the reply, correct, I am aware of that for example, I have disabled local control and got it to work as I 'want' it to with traktor. What I did was:

->Add in -- CC#1 to control the mixer Low knob.
    ->Add out -- CC#1 to send position from traktor to Code, so they are always in sync
    -> Add out -- CC#33 to send position to the led ring.

this works perfectly, however in Live you cannot assign 1 parameter to 2 different CC# therefore I cannot have it send it to both the encoder and to the ring 

that is Live's shortcoming but was wondering if I could achieve what i described from traktor and have a workaround in ableton.

Hope this makes sense, thanks in advance.

• Guitar Wing — how to set strip led color by CC or SysEx?
    Hi there! 

I'm currently working on a "guitar groovebox" which uses Wing as a control surface. Heart of it is a Raspberry PI with a python inside and some midi libs to control through midi some old school extra gear (Kaoss Pad 3 and Line6 POD 2.0). And of course want to do some generative music.

Just to get it clear:
    1. I don't want to use standard Wing FX software, it's useless for me. Sorry! 
    2. I don't want to use just any PC/Mac/iOS software, because of huge latency. So I decided to focus my setup on a hardware solutions. 
    3. Of course I know about Editor. And it's useless to my scope. I want to change the touchstrips colors on fly. 

And now to changing colors from script. Somehow I figured out, that colors of the buttons can be easily set by sending CC to Livid Wing midi-device. Rect buttons, round buttons, arrow buttons — whatever. For example, to change the color of first round button I should send to Wing some data via CC==36. 

BUT! If I send values via CC according to touchstrips numbers, it's only changing the lightbar value, not the color. And struggling begins here. I sent a ticket to support center, but was no answer. Maybe any case outside of a normal flow they 
    perplexedly staring at. Maybe they're alredy forwarded my inqury to Livid engineers, but those engineers are too busy.

Ok then, here we go. I opened the Guitar Wing editor and some midi-monitoring software and tried to change the strips colors. And... There was no CC's. There was some SysEx data, and I have no idea what meaning or structure it has. 

So, this is the question. Hivemind, did anyone of you do same things to livid devices? I hope changing led colors can be familiar on different devices (not only Wing). 

If no one answers, I'll try to hack those SysEx messages and look what happened (at my own risk, of course).

Thank you! Thanks in advance and at least for your compassion!
  • Guitar Wing Pairing Connection Problems
    So it's been harder and harder to get a wireless connection with my Guitar Wing.

The inconsistency with which I'm able to power up and pair my GuitarWing with my MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6 has worsened since I recently performed the required operating system updates.

Now it doesn't seem to matter if I plug in the USB receiver first, then turn on the Wing, then start the app (usually VirtualDJ 8), try to connect the Wing with the Firmware Update 105, or experiment with a number of other sequences - there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for when and why the equipment finally pairs.  I've also tried waiting different amounts of time between the steps. If I allow 30 minutes of continuously repeating and experimenting with steps, I eventually succeed.

The only description of my Guitar Wing Firmwarethat  I see is "software 1.05  firmware 0.00".

I have been trying to use the Guitar Wing USB Receiver, but would certainly be open to using the Apple Bluetooth-MIDI feature if I can and if it would work more consistently.

For the record, if I go to Bluetooth in Settings, I can see that it has been on the whole time.

Certainly when I have tried to pair the Guitar Wing, the firmware log will reflect that the wing usb receiver has been found right away - but I never know when it's going to start receiving the MIDI messages no matter how many times I click "connect".

I've noticed a number of others are struggling with related issues online.  There has got to be a better way, right?

Gregory
  • Builder Parts
    Thanks, Moon.

I have been crazy busy and had to leave my Livid Builds and repairs for a bit. But that doesn't mean they are "dead." I am known to have five to seven to twelve technical projects going at once. And Doing a major studio rebuild on top of it all means capernetry. So below is a draft I startwed WEEKS ago, after you replied. The "encoders backward" was a blow. But I just got them back on, following your advice in cutting them off and uttiong new ones on. How is this?

That is first. So?
    \

Now I'll continue with my weeks old draft and edit where encessary with my planned next steps questions.....

-----
    begin old note I never finished:
    ---------

OK. I'll start with where I am at now...
    You like pictures, eh? OK. Here is what I am still working on- Livid Instruments wise. I have plenty of other balls in the air as well, Livid and otherwise.
    Actually, this little table is about half of the Livid projects I have going. You can see my CNTRL:R is apart. I have to replace one fader, the far right one. Desoldering has proven to NOT be my strong suit. AT ALL. I really hope if the encoder remove/ replace didn\'t damage the other side of the board. It is certainily not up to my soldering standards, as it was rough getting the old connection points to become "holes" again. Some look a little "burnt."

If you remember, I have three Brain Jr.'s, the CNTRL:R, and a Livids elements single row of four units wired to a Brain all nice and neat. Plan is for CNTRL:R to get repaired by replacing the far right fader. After replacing four encoders I am hopeful, but only if I fire up that Jr. and it works fine, Otherwise, I am terrified I will do damage to the CNTRL:R.

Brain Jr 1- The 4 faders with 4 encoders along the bottom. 
    Brain Jr. 2- I waffle between ideas a lot, but have decided that I am going to first finish Jr. #1 & #3, that are already started, fix the CNTRL:R and decide how the Jr. 2 can best fit my playing style. I am toying with the idea of making a 4x4 button block that is simply an FX on/off  for 8 different channels. I do not need a drum pad, as I use a MIDIFIGHTER and a MIDIFIGHTER TWISTER that I love.

Brain Jr. 3-  The Pedal box with 1/4" inputs jacks wired to the Jr. Expression and momentary switch type keyboard pedals. Yes, I have plenty of pedals to experiment.

You also see my 1/4" input Brain Jr. box for pedals. Thanks for the heads up about pedals. I have made sure not to go overboard with buying pedals before I know what works. Luckily, I have gotten a variety of them for nothing or for dirt cheap. I have two that (I think) are very nice and hope those two work more than the others. One I got when I purchased a Moogerfooger from eBay and the seller just threw in the Moog expression pedal for no particular reason. The other is brand new and was also a freebie with something else I bought online. I have several that are decidedly NOT nice at all. 1/8" jacks for some reason, light as air, cheap materials, weird sticker on one that just says "PEDAL" - on a cheap sticker. Classy. Once I get the number of working pedals to where I want it, I have a design for an angled project box to put them on.

Now if I wanted to throw a monkey wrench in, and have 4 individual > LEDs light up independently when the encoder I place each LED under is > pressed and turn off when it is pressed again... how would I do that?

In Brain Configure,
    - Remap the desired LED to the same mapping as your button. (If your button is mapped to note 4, then your led should be mapped to note 4), then you enable Local Control for Buttons in the same program.

> Moon said: > Hi Spaker

Now if I wanted to throw a monkey wrench in, and have 4 individual > LEDs light up independently when the encoder I place each LED under is > pressed and turn off when it is pressed again... how would I do that?
    In Brain Configure,
    - Remap the desired LED to the same mapping as your button. (If your button is mapped to note 4, then your led should be mapped to note 4), then you enable Local Control for Buttons in the same program.
    About the touch sliders on digikey. Yes, we have had many users use soft-pots such as these. They wire up as Analog inputs, and work pretty well.

--

I think I understand the way to Map the LEDs to get them to light when an encoder is engaged, I think.

I have the supercool touch faders and really want to use them with the Last Jr. and OMNI Board. Just like a fader...? Because they have like three wires coming off of them...

So now that I know the faders I installed already used FIVE soldering points.... how would these hook up?

(remember I ahve another OMNI board, as well as an LED, Button and Analog breakout shield on the #3 Jr. itself.) Analog? It has three connection points....

Looking forward to your next note ....

And ANY- and I mean ANY tips on how to get that far fader off the CNTRL:R without royally screwing my favorite MIDI CNTRL:R!

Want more photos? Just ask. This is a vacation week for me. Sorta. I have to play a 9 hour set on New Years, but am playing with my:

Ableton Live PC
    Launchpad
    Launch Control
    Launch Control XL
    MIDIFIGHTER 3D & MF TWISTER
    Behringer CMD MM-1
    Roland TR-8, TB-3, MX-1, System-1m
    Arturia Beatstep & Microbrute
    and a veriety of Teenage Engineering PO units, Korg Volcas and various Lo-Fi gadgetry I run through a small mixer and route through various FX pedals either into a mix, on top of a mix, or exteemely minimally. 

• Brand new at guitar wing have many questions on ableton garage band and guitar wing...

So to recap i had brought my guitar wing to computer shop no help ,just another

bill to pay.So far the techs where i bought ableton intro to live took control of my computer remotely no help either.I called ableton no answer there.I would like to

map in ableton to control the pitch slider with the large cc#3 slider on the guitar wing in the guitar rig /ableton live  settings.I could not map the guitar wing in ableton live to adjust the pitch slider of the guitar wing to slide when pressed on the wing it should be mapped so that the computer slider in the pitch pedal on the computer screen moves when i move the slider on the guitar wing.I have ableton live intro win 7 laptop and presonus audio box computer interface.Today is 9-21-2016 wednsday 8:13 pm .I also see that i have ver 9.62 in ableton live and the 9.61 scripts as the tech that tried to use the 9.62 scripts for the wing said he was getting an error.Have you done something new with your software i am not aware of now that the guitar wing has changed how it works with the new ableton live.I already tried and updated the guitar wing to the new firmware and scripts STILL NOT WORKING .Do I have to plan a trip to texas to get one of your personell to get my guitar wing working or can you assist because at this point i have used my savings completely any way so even you would not be able to get the guitar wing working ,and you built it?So you see stand in my shoes the hours i spent and the money i spent on the guitar wing and try to get it working for me ....regards ....----scottsober 

• Very subjective Impressions on Base II Live script, and a request for modifications/trimmings?
    I've been working with the Ableton Remote Script for the Base, and it occurs to me that my favorite and only features are: 
    1) The Pads mapped to play instruments and drum racks in Sends and Device modes, but I'd take either page
    2) The shifted keyboard modifiers, not including split mode or the sequencer. Just vertical offset, base note, and scale
    3) User mode for everything left over.

Is there either a way of deleting or overriding pages for the other native control features in the remote script within the .py such that I can either dedicate more pages to the User mode, or free them from the script entirely, and program the Base at will? Or should I create a m4l MIDI patch or rack of midi devices to do the same thing as the Shift-Mode buttons and just not use the remote script?

Furthermore, if I might add a request to the current remote script: I think the shifted feature of the Pads for modes 2 and/or 3 should just remain a functioning keyboard. That way, the top button scale modifiers can be used while playing, for transposition, chord changes, etc. There was a similar discussion that suggested play/stop on a clip would be best served in the same pad in the session grid, not to the stop button on the track scope of the LOM. In other words, I'm +1 that the shift-modified pads make things prone to misfires and confusion for me.

Here are my impressions of the other features: 
    split mode doesn't offer me enough range for playing in instrument view. sequencer has same issue with the added imprecision that I'll never commit the overdub/new clip etc. buttons to muscle memory. 
    Volume and return mapping on the faders is beautifully responsive, but without a number readout and a tap return to unity gain, I probably won't reach for them much. One less "head scratcher" when launching a clip and wondering why the next track came in so faint. 
    Device mode has roughly the same issue: I can't look at the base itself and know which device is in focus. Therefore the thought of navigating through subdivides and sub chains would be like loosing the forest due to the trees. If you have a push sitting next to you or the computer itself, you'd see the readout, so why not just reach for that?
    Track selection on the top buttons is worth keeping, but like the push 1 it doesn't seem to update with the group banking, so there's a bit of a fudge factor there when moving beyond the 8 tracks in focus. 
    Clip launching is nice, but seeing 4 scenes on the pads is no more orienting than maximizing your clip and mixer and making only 4 scenes visible in your session.
  • Ableton 9.5 remote scripts changes

Hi all,

I have a custom controller based on brain v2 and a custom remote script coded by amounra base on _Monoframework that has stop working after updating to AL9.5. I had update the _Monoframework, i don´t know how unreal is to summarize the changes, so we can update our scripts. Or. any help?  

Thnxs in advance
    a
  • Base II Drum Pad cc and velocity

Hi,

I didn't know if this was a software or hardware issue, so I just posted here.

I just got a Base II and after going through the Livid Wiki Online Editor and trying things out, it seems I can't assign the drum pads to a fixed velocity.  What I'd like to be able to do is to assign many of them to output a different value of cc#32.
    For example, when drum pad ID 24 is struck it will output cc32 at a set value of 20. When drum pad ID 25 is struck it will output cc32 at a set value of 1, etc.

According to the Livid Wiki I should be able to do this:
    "fixed note velocity
    You may want to turn off pressure sensitivity. This sets the velocity to a constant value, rather than varying velocity depending on how hard you hit the pad."
    However, selecting the fixed note velocity "enable" button doesn't have any effect for me. When I press the pad I can see in the MIDI monitor (and in my DAW) that I'm getting velocity based values.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Issue programming button ID66 in Block

Hi I connected to the editor on line and was looking at the values set by the default reset.When I go to button ID66 and press it ,it gives out the following midi note numbers in the midi viewer

CH 1 | Note (F#5) 66 64
    CH 1 | Note (D0) 2 64
    CH 1 | Note (Bb0) 10 64
    CH 1 | Note (F#1) 18 64
    CH 1 | Note (D2) 26 64
    CH 1 | Note (Bb2) 34 64
    CH 1 | Note (F#3) 42 64
    CH 1 | Note (D4) 50 64
    CH 1 | Note (Bb4) 58 64
    CH 1 | Note (F#5) 66 0
    CH 1 | Note (D0) 2 0
    CH 1 | Note (Bb0) 10 0
    CH 1 | Note (F#1) 18 0
    CH 1 | Note (D2) 26 0
    CH 1 | Note (Bb2) 34 0
    CH 1 | Note (F#3) 42 0
    CH 1 | Note (D4) 50 0
    CH 1 | Note (Bb4) 58 0

when I try to change the value to something else in the editor it does not do anything and continues to output a stream of midi numbers
    Is this normal or am I missing something ?
    Actually just saw a message that this is the bank cycle button what if I want to change it to something else ?
    This was the same for the offline and online editor
  • Alias 8 - LIVID

I figured it out it required mapping and as you map the lights work on the Alias 8 , I had to assign them 

thank you 
  • Base// ableton remote script question

wondering if anyone could help with a quick question regarding the Base// - i'm using the latest version of ableton live 9 and the latest remote script for the Base//.. 

When using the remote scripts 'user modes' 1-4 - ableton receives note messages from the 32 pads on midi channels 11-14 respectively ..
    I was wondering if there was a way of changing this behaviour so that the pads sent out cc messages?  I only want this behaviour on the user modes..

i was able to change this behaviour on previous scripts by making changes to the Base via the online editor - this no longer seems to work..

is there a way to make this change in the remote script??

• CODE :: regular LED Feedback dropout

okay, i've now two global coll objects comprised of the two definitive references lists, thanks.

And I take it that the encoders' LED Ring Code, on the other hand, ranges from 54 to 85 (32 steps in an uninterrupted numerical seq)…

this then gives us the following guideline for mapping LEDs to controls on the Code:
    • the LED mappings are formatted as two lists, one each for Notes and CCs respectively
    • hence only one origin of LED control can be assigned to either a Note or a CC (between 0-127)
    • to map a control to an LED, then, depending on its type (Note/CC), the position/index in the formatted sysex string defines which Note/CC is being controlled and the corresponding value gives the origin of control (i.e. a button's LED Code index according to the sheets, or an LED Ring's index between 54-85), which can of course only be one of them

a lot clearer now, methinks.
    anyhow, you mentioned that

»When a message received matches an ledring mapping, then the encoder value does Not change, and the LED Ring does update«

right? I just tested this and the opposite was the case :: having mapped encoder 1 to CC1 and its LED Ring to CC2 while encoder 2 is mapped to CC2 and its LED Ring to 34 … sending a CC2 to the Code changes the second Encoder and not the Ring of Encoder #1. Am I missing something? seems like the Encoder and not the Ring takes priority… same if I map LED Ring #3 to CC2 as well, the second Encoder value is still being controlled… this would actually be preferable as for the rings show the current Encoder values.

thanks so far. i should be able to work with this for now!
  • Boss fs-5U pedal with Cntrl-r

If its not working on continuous mode, then the polarity is different. This article explains it really well:
    http://missionengineering.com/?page_id=738
    Our controller expect this configuration:

CW —— Sleeve
    Wiper — Ring
    CCW —– Tip

You can split open your cable and switch the ring and tip wires!

• Tweaking Cntrl:r Ableton Live Script

Hi Mike,

I'm using the last amounra script (CNTRLR), i updated the directories yesterday from  https://github.com/aumhaa/mod

Thing is i managed to do it on the previous versions but since he changed a lot of stuff in there i'm a bit lost.
  • Code and Bitwig mapping questions
    I'm a little confused regarding your mention of not being able to implement device left and device right functionality, as it can be done on the Base

Actually, it can't.  Thus far, it can't be done with static devices.  Within the API, we are given access to a "CursorDevice", which follows the current device selection.  Yes, we are able to dynamically change the device selection based on what is currently selected in BW's interface.  This, however, is dependent upon the navigation preference of a single device.  With the mode in question, we have linked to multiple devices at once, and the ability to navigate to a different track "PrimaryDevice" is currently not implemented.  There are hooks in the API, but they currently do not function as advertised.  I have been told by a good authority that we will see a functional implementation for this fairly crucial functionality soon in BW's API.

Regarding your post wherein you report seeing a feedback bug with the interaction between the CustomCode script and the Base script:  I've checked this out fairly extensively and I can't reproduce your results.  If you want to send me a project file that demonstrates this I can possibly find the time to investigate it further, but on my system both controllers are working properly when in those modes.

Regarding your latest post:  I'm not sure what you're getting at?  Our scripts do forward the values and you can freely map any CC within the context of Bitwigs UserLearn system to the best of my knowledge.....if you're referring to increment/decrement for tempo, the information you've related doesn't really change the situation as far as I can tell:  our controls send out 1/127 for increment/decrement, not 0/127.  There still needs to be a functional interface object built in our scripts to deal with them, but since we do not use relative values for any of our scripts thus far, it hasn't been done.

For any of the "shift" functions, there is a simple interface in our scripts that helps you assign this sort of thing.  If you look at the CodeCustom script I linked above, around line 310 you will see a declaration for the mixerPage.  The page definition includes an "enter_mode" method, an "exit_mode" function, and an "update_mode" function.  The "enter_mode" is called whenever the mode is entered from another mode, and the "exit_mode" is called when it is left to go to another mode.  In addition, there  is an "update_mode" function that is called each time shift is pressed, and you can use this to add shifted functions (or move the main functions into the shifted functions).  Really, rearranging things within these mode declarations is fairly easy, as simple as copying and pasting.  All of our scripts use the same syntax and prototypal elements, so there are quite a few examples of how to do things.

As an example, I could add scene launch to the bottom left (currently unused) buttons while the mixPage was shifted by doing this:

(sorry, VanillaForum won't let me post the code so you'll have to check it out as a gist)

Unfortunately, I am overwhelmed with other projects right now and don't have time to pursue this further, but I'm glad to explain whatever I can for you if you'd like to try some changes yourself.  Livid will most likely be reexamining some of this stuff in the future as new versions of BW are available, but we generally don't arbitrarily change the control scripts much after they are published since it requires resources for bug testing and re-documentation.  I do also work on commission for this sort of thing, and although that doesn't change my current priorities, it might be a solution for you if you can wait until next week sometime.  

• Edit midi messages on Guitar Wing?

Hi Moon,

Thanks for the great answers to my questions. I'm looking forward to the next update :).

Following up on #3) I have noticed that every once in a while, if I send too many messages too quickly, it will actually cause buttons on the guitarwing to 'Hang' and not respond at all to MIDI input until I turn it off and on again. The button still sends messages and updates it's lights according to the internal firmware settings, but no longer responds to messages, even if sent very slowly. Not sure if this is something to look into.

As far as the python api, I've looked into PortMidi, but it seemed to be no longer maintained (except inside pyGame). I've actually just been using pyOSC. my setup is:

Ableton-M4L<-OSC->Python

Where I have a single M4L device that routes and converts OSC into MIDI. A bit of a hack to be sure, but it works for me if you have all those other programs. I'd like to make it more contained in the future perhaps, or at least more shareable, so I'm glad to hear portmidi is working for you.

Let's see how good I can get things working on the next firmware, and I'd be happy to share what I've got.
  • Any news about a working firmware for the Code ?

You don't understood.
    on #3:
    when you change track, the code received midi CC from Cubase (each times you change tracks), so each Bank received the signal. you can assign midi channel 1 to bank 1 and midi channel 2 to bank 2, so with a same button you can send: midi CC1 ch1 and midi CC1 ch2 if you use the Bank Button. are we agree ?
    so more easy:
    I reset the code, I change the first button (top left ID0, who is "note 1") to TOGGLE, I do the same on bank 2
    I add the bank button, turn ON "Led Local Control Toggle" and save to device.
    I use this setting in cubase:
    http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/30694320GR.jpg
    I go to the first track and turn MUTE ON by pressing the buton ID0 from the Bank 1
    I selected the second track: the button turn off (Mute was Off on track 2, it's normal)
    I return to the first track, the button turn on (Mute was On on track 1, it's normal)
    but when I press the buton ID0 from the Bank 1 again, nothing append, I press a second time, it turn off and unmute the first track.
    Ok, now turn ON the "EQ On1" with the bank 2 (or via cubase, it's the same), return to bank 1.
    Retry the same but with MUTE OFF, you will have the same result.
    the button state from the Bank 2 is assigned to the Bank 1 each time you change the track. because they have the same midi address (even if banks have midi channel 1 for bank 1 and 2 for bank 2)
    (it's only for the button state, every others things are ok)

• Tweaking Cntrl:r Ableton Live Script

The solution was right in front of me ! Thank you so much !!

So the script is now working, the 4 bottom pots of the left section now control a 3rd send and i managed to assign the prehear fader (3rd on the right section) to the volume of the 3rd send by changing this : 

for index in range(2):
    self._mixer.return_strip(index).set_volume_control(self._fader[index+4])
    self._mixer.master_strip().set_volume_control(self._fader[7])
    self._mixer.set_prehear_volume_control(self._fader[6])

to this : 

for index in range(3):
    self._mixer.return_strip(index).set_volume_control(self._fader[index+4])
    self._mixer.master_strip().set_volume_control(self._fader[7])
    #self._mixer.set_prehear_volume_control(self._fader[6])

I don't know if that's the right way but it works :)

Regarding monomodular, i still can't get it to work. i tried putting all of the "Python script" folder into "MIDI remote scripts" but then when i use the "CNTRLR" script, everything seems to light up correctly except i've got 1 encoder lit on the top row (the 3rd one) when i click on it it becomes purple... And the HEX plugin still does not work, the pads are not recognized.... maybe i'm missing something. I'm using the final unfrozen version.

• Edit midi messages on Guitar Wing?

Update:

I did a bit more work and found that problem #3 is from trying to send too many MIDI messages to the guitarwing at once and it overloads the bluetooth connection. The sweet spot seems to be 25ms, where if I put a 25ms delay between each CC it doesn't miss any messages. At 20ms it misses around 1 in 6. 

So, looking forward to the editor, and if there's any way to disable the built-in LED behavior and get a map of the MIDI -> LED that would be super! Thanks for the cool product.