Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter

Custom Editing OhmModes v2 Remote Script for Livid Ohm RGB

Greetings amounra and forum members,

I've had a Livid Ohm RGB for about 2 years now, as an upgrade from my APC40, and I absolutely love it. The build quality is fantastic, it's fantastic for live use, and I always gets comments about how it looks.

I'm at the point now, where I'd like to expand the functionality and integration of the Livid by doing some custom editing to the remote script. One problems I'm having, is note 33 (one of the expression pedal ports) sends intermittent ghost signals. It started doing that after performing at a festival which had a lot of dust, and blowing out the port with some air helps some, but doesn't eliminate the problem. It doesn't cause any problems with live usage, because I don't use the expression pedal for anything, but it does get in the way sometime when I'm trying to change or add new midi mappings. I'd like to explore if there's a way to block or filter out that one specific note.

I also just started using ClyphX Pro, which is really shifting the way I approach my live performance capabilities. I'd like to set up specific X-Controls to use with the Livid that are congruent with my performance style, while retaining some of the functionality of the existing remote script.

For reference, you can see what I'm doing with ClyphX here: http://beatwise.proboards.com/thread/3314/parsing-info-clip-names-variables

I'm not an experienced Python programmer, but I know enough about programming to generally work things out with some trial and error, or with good documentation to reference.

I spent some time reading up on remote scripting and Ableton's _Frameworks, but the OhmModes v2 script is more complex than the examples I can find on the internet, and while I can generally follow what's going on when I read through the script, there's some techniques used that are still opaque to me, and I'm having a hard time finding information on the specific methods and classes you're using. For instance - how are you actually assigning the note values to the buttons (it looks like you're using some sort of matrix iteration?), and how could I edit that to my own custom assignments without breaking the script?

I also have some undesired behavior with the red scene navigation box - when I step down by one scene, the view shifts all the way to the right, then with another step it shifts back to the left, and continues in this manner when moving the box up and down. I think it does this, because the width of the red box extends beyond the viewable screen real estate - in my live DJ setup, I have the tracks at maximum width so I can see as much of the clip information (containing key, bpm, time signature, artist, song name) as possible at a quick glance. For that setup though, I primarily only mix from 4 channels. I'd like the left/right view to remain static while navigating up/down, and only move when I use the buttons for left/right navigation. Is that possible to do within the OhmModes v2 script? I might also like to change the size of the red box, to make it smaller, and free up more buttons on the grid for assignment to X-Controls for effects.

Thank you for designing an amazing controller, I greatly appreciate any insight and information you can provide that will help me unlock the real potential of this wonderful device!

Comments

• Hi TBK,

I highly suggest you search through amounra 's posts here on our forums.
    He has provided lots of information on this over time.

CC33: 
    If you don't have anything connected to that expansion port, you can disable that control with the newest firmware (v127).
    Simply map the control to cc127 in the editor to disable it.

v127 does update the USB firmware. 
    (v123 on the website uses the old USB firmware)

• Hi, thank you for the information!

I did spend some time searching the forums before making this post, and didn't find answers to the questions I posed above. I will continue searching as I have time to work on this, but if you or anyone else knows the specific threads that address these questions, I'd be grateful for a direct link, to help consolidate the information.

I believe I do have the most recent firmware, but I will check that and the fix - thanks!

• For instance - how are you actually assigning the note values to the buttons (it looks like you're using some sort of matrix iteration?), and how could I edit that to my own custom assignments without breaking the script?

The note# assignments are contained in lists/arrays in the map.py file for the controller (same folder as the main script).  You can change the assignments by editing the numbers there.

I'd like the left/right view to remain static while navigating up/down, and only move when I use the buttons for left/right navigation. Is that possible to do within the OhmModes v2 script? 

Unfortunately this is something that's happening on the C side of Live, and isn't controllable via the script.  I have reason to suspect it may be something that is fixed in upcoming versions, but I can't go into specifics.  Either way, I know what you're talking about and I don't think there's really a good solution at present.

I might also like to change the size of the red box, to make it smaller, and free up more buttons on the grid for assignment to X-Controls for effects.

The navigation box is a separate component (SessionRingComponent), and can be sized independently.  However, it has to be the same size as the MixerComponent and SessionComponent that it is linked to, so it requires changing a lot of things in the rest of the script to make it work correctly.

It's possible to have two SessionRingComponents,  but that would require some hacking around and I can't guarantee that it would work as you'd expect.  Seems like I've done it before though...

a