Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter

Recommended encoders for the brain?

edited March 2017 in Builder Box

I'm personally trying to get into the brain to make a fully knob controller to put next to some motorized faders to make a kind of analog style daw controller. (whatchya think?) I'm going to use encoders so i can have a, in a sense, recallable surface control. I'm having a hard time figuring out what kind of encoders i want. i don't want them to be super non-sensetive were it rakes 4 turns (or something crazy like that) to make it rotate fully while still veing accurate, but something where in 270 degrees i can send an accurate amount of control as if it were the rotation in a standard knob.

so i guess 128 is the amount of control in a midi cc right? so if i wanted 270 degrees out of 365, i guess i would need 140 "points per rotation"? i don't know much about encoders but I'm wondering if i could buy those replacement encoders and would they work with the standard pinouts? i presume, much like pots, bigger companies make them, but i can't find out if berhinger actually made this or its just branded as replacement for it http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/286338-Behringer-Y32-30025-09451
also no detents preferably. 
 Now the reason its tagged as led rings in the tags. I watched the video, and that would be awesome for me to utilize, but because id be using up all the digital pot/encoder ports, id be able to have 6 less per encoder right? and can the leds can be controlled by the knobs in the software and in a sense separate from the encoders? and linked on the same cc by chance? but the less controlled by software knob to show automation?

what is noise in midi? should i use capacitors to clean it out? what nf/pf should i use? for leds what kind should i use, do resistors or caps need to used with that as well?

thanks all! 
~rikard
edit:resistor/cap question

Comments