Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter

Brain Jr. RGB LED Wiring

Hello,

I am currently trying to use a RGB LED with my Brain Jr., however I am unable to get it to light up. I purchased the header from Futurlec as recommended in the Livid Wiki since the LED breakout shield is no longer available (http://www.futurlec.com/Connectors/ARDHEAD4pr.shtml), and then I wired the LED to the brain as instructed, but I'm still unable to get the LED to light up. Can someone help me out and provide a detailed step-by-step process on how to properly connect an RGB light to the Brain Jr.?

Thanks for the support!

-Sias

Comments

• Hi Sias,
    What LED are you using?
    Can you send a picture of your wiring?

In short, all of the LEDs respond to MIDI Note On Messages. I can be more specific once you send responses to the other questions.

Note: The header that you linked is not the correct size for a BrainJr. (though you likely got it to work with those long legs). The spacing of the BrainJr Pins is actually 2mm. (your linked part is 2.54mm).

Cheers,
    Justin

• Hey Justin,

Thanks for your help! I tried 2X5x7 rectangular diffused anode LED's. I followed the directions provided on the LIVID wiki for the brain jr. Here is a picture, not sure if the file will work:

I've been struggling pretty bad, so I appreciate your help

Thanks!

-Josias

• Hi Josias,

The picture didn't come through.
    Can you please email it to jmoon@lividinstruments.com ?

• Not a problem, I'll send now. Thanks again

• Update: We solved this in our email thread.

There was a wiring issue, so I provided this description which helped sias313 get it going.

That wiring is incorrect.
    I see in our documentation where you got this impression. (Wiki image shows a single 'bus' wire running to all pins on the LED).

Let me give you the easiest hookup here for a single RGB LED:

Anode:  Connect to Column 1 (any of the 4 Column 1 pins)
    Red Cathode: Connect to Row 1
    Green Cathode: Connect to Row 2
    Blue Cathode: Connect to Row 3

If you do this, your RGB LED will be positioned to work as LED ID 0.