Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter

Multiple ports for Livid instruments

Why are there 2 input and output ports when connecting Livid controllers to software? I am using Pro Tools with a Base 2 and Code 2...

It shows as such; Base 2 [Emulated] MIDIIN2 (Base2) [Emulated]

Looks the same for the Code also.

Also in Bome Midi Translator each device shows 2 input and 2 output ports. The reason I ask is because I believe they are responsible for other midi devices to loose sync with Pro Tools. If I remove either my Base 2 or Code 2 from the midi devices list, to make their ports available for other software, my HUI Controller looses sync with Pro Tools and becomes non functional.

Is there firmware available to make Livid controllers multi-client?

Comments

• Hi ibanman555,
    On both devices, the first set of ports are the ports that you use (to connect with scripts or MIDI Map or run the Configuration Editor).

On the Code 2, the second set of ports are connected directly to the physical MIDI Ports on your device.
    On Base 2, the second set of ports do nothing.
    In general, you can leave the second set of ports disconnected from your software.
    Let me know if leaving them disconnected fixes your issue.

There is nothing that limits our devices from connecting to Multiple Software. This feature works well on Mac, Linux, and the new Windows 10 MIDI System.
    The old Windows MIDI System limits the number software that can connect to a device to one.
    The only way to get around this system is to use a special driver like LoopBe1, and I believe MIDI Yoke also allows multiple connections to a single port.

• Thanks Moon, I understand about the second set of ports now and they are left disconnected from any software.

My system is Windows 7 64-bit and when the Code or Base 2 are plugged in to the system for the first time, I cannot connect either device to two software programs. I assume as you mentioned that it has to do with the version of OS and the fact they are class-compliant midi devices.

I did find an older x-emu driver and actually updated the Code and Base2 drivers with this, and it allowed each device to open their ports in 2 different software programs.

They still function properly and connect to their editors, but I'm interested why installing different drivers allows me to use them in such a way.

• That's cool that you found that solution. I did not know of that driver

Windows MIDI System on Windows XP through Windows 10, declares each MIDI Connection as 'Exclusive', and it doesn't have a system for sending the messages to multiple recipients.
    Windows 10 has implemented a new MIDI System that allows multiple connections, but it has not been adopted by any popular software developers as of yet (that I know of).

As you said, an alternative driver or 'virtual midi through ports' like MIDI Yoke and LoopBe1 are the only methods to achieve this on Windows.