Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter

Ohm RGB issues with Ableton Push 2

edited December 2016 in Hardware

I recently picked up an OHM RGB and have noticed an issue when using it with Ableton 9.7.1 with a Push 2 along with ohmmodes (using Mac OSX Sierra). The OHM will work fine with Live, but when both are connected the Push 2 will start to act strange. Mainly it will alternate between showing the ableton Logo and the controls on the LCD. Sometimes both at the same time. I reinstalled Live and deleted the preferences, and the Push went back to working as normal. Then I added the ohmmodes script back in, set it up in Lives preferences and the Push goes back to acting wonky. I’d love to have these two able to work in tandem but am struggling to do it. Anyone else have a similar issue? I suspect it has something to do with the midiscripts?

Comments

• I think its either a bad cable or you're not using a cable with a long enough end to properly connect to the Push2's USB jack (it's jack is recessed further than most other controllers, and I've found this makes it incompatible with many generic USB cables).  I've used Push and Push2 in conjunction with all of the Livid scripts successfully for years.  I had similar problems with my Push2 when I first got it, and they were resolved by switching back to using the cable originally provided in the Push2's package.

Let me know if that solves it, otherwise we can try something else.

a

• edited December 2016

I don't believe the cable is the problem as it's the original USB cable that came with the Push 2 and it worked for a year before the Livid. Also, reinstalling Live and deleting the preferences got the push working fine again. Adding the livid again while the push was on caused it to go wonky again. I can't figure it out as I've seen people using both....

Could it have something to do with the midi scripts in the Ableton folder?

And thanks for the help!

• edited December 2016

I believe I have figured it out. I think the problem was under preferences, within the midi tab I had both the push and Ohm's "track" and "remote" set to on. I changed this to just have the "track" on and leave remote off and it seems to be working.

• Push shouldn't go offline unless you press the User button or the USB is disconnected from it (in my experience anyway).  I'm not sure what's going on there.  Enabling "remote" shouldn't make any difference in that regard, that setting enables manually "Midi-Learning" the controls on each controller to your own liking....

Still, if it 'aint broke don't fix it ;)

Let me know if you come up with another solution, or have more trouble.  I'd love to know what's going on there, just out of my own curiousity!

a
  • Only thing I can think of is that having the midi output of push set to remote was causing it to react to midi changes somehow. I did notice this:

"Activating Remote for a MIDI Output allows Live to send feedback messages to a MIDI controller.

This switch needs to be enabled for:

MIDI controllers with LEDs that reflect the status of mapped Live parameters. MIDI controllers with motorized faders that reflect the status of mapped Live parameters."

All I can think is that something was causing the Push's LCD screen to go wonky. The pads would work as normal. Just the screen was going crazy.

• edited January 2017

I had/have the same problem here. I have been using Push 2 with the Ohm64 wood since Push 2 came out and suddenly there is some sort of conflict. Could it be something with and update from Ableton?