Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter

Is the DS-1 discontinued?

I'd love to get my hands on a DS1, but they aren't available anywhere. Will they be back?

Comments

• I'd like to know the status of this and the Base // as well.

Every time one goes away, I am mad I didn't even get a shot at it.

Are bad things happening to Livid Instruments?

Please say no and that you'll be returning to cranking out new and bringing back classic controllers very, very soon!!

Some of this stuff are hands down the best quality and versatile MIDIO Controllers on the market - when they are readily available...

Please!!! I never got a chance to own an OHM:RGB or properly explore plenty of gems.

HOOK UP UP, Livid! Gotta LOVE this place.

• Livid went bankrupt, then the entire warehouse got robbed and every employee and even the CEO (with the exception of J. Moon) went to jail for their 3rd drunk driving offense; walking to work wasn't an option. Then I read in the news their warehouse caught fire, so ya know... Just a run of bad luck. Rumor has it they'll be back though. Don't hold your breath.

• Come on.

This is too off the wall to be true.

I can't find any news online to back this up. Can you point to something to let me know this isn't a troll operation? Sorry to cast doubt, but that is a pretty outrageous- not impossible - sequence of events.

Why  is the one "Moon" person still offering help and tech support for Livid products online? Why is the website up?

An entire warehouse full of microcontrollers, passive electronics parts and custom metalwork robbed? For what? Their machines and customized niche product parts? I don't get it. Maybe if someone stole all the computers or something like that.... but MIDI controllers that may or may not have been assembled? That doesn't seem right... or very smart burglary.

Why did an entire company get arrested in connection with a DUI? Was this a drunken convoy to the annual picnic or something?

How did they go bankrupt? This part seems plausible only because of the product discontinuations, one after another; along with the Minum thing that I never understood.

If these products are history, it's a real shame. I haven't found another product that is as well made and suited for Ableton w/ Max more than the CNTRL:R, the Brain gear and my elements Rack. I've tried, and the only build quality that is close are the platter type DJ controllers used for something completely different. I wanted the OHM:RGB eventually, as well as the Base // and the DS-1.

If any of this is true, I guess I am lucky to have scored a bunch of Livid faders, knobs, encoders, buttons, and matching passive electronics like the same capacitors, diodes, LEDs, etc. Because now if the CNTRL:R or any piece of my elements rack breaks, I can actually replace whatever is broken with OEM parts.

Still.... I wanted a DS1...

Damn,

• Well excellent.

What the heck was that crazy story about? Online troll?

• I'm just having fun... Mr. Moon had been quite helpful, and maybe one of the few left... But "for real", Livid isn't dead yet.

• Does someone know any news about the retooled DS1? I'm thinking about getting another DS1 for my live setup, should I wait for the new one or find the old one?

Thanks
  • I'm waiting for the DS1 as well for a while now.

It's sold out everywhere and it's the only controller on the market which suits my exact needs.

@ Livid people: Any news when or even if it will be shipped again?

• speaking another vote of enthusiasm about ds1 news. this is my favorite ableton controller. 

• Okay, it's been a while since an update on the mkII?. Could Moon unveil a bit of info? I really need one of these, but its impossible to find at the moment. Thanks in advance.

• edited September 6
    Another addicted DS1 seaker here. Any glimmer of hope as to when the next production run will be?

I'm thankful to have an Alias8 heading my way... but I need a DS1... or even a DS2 ;)
  • three years ago I was diagnosed with ALS. I worked as long as I could until I became too disabled to come into the office . After a few attempts to replace my position we had to close our manufacturing facility and focus on supporting our current product line. We are currently working with new partners to bring back the products you love like the ds1 and continue to innovate with new products. We have a small staff that is still developing products and improving our existing line. Thank you for your patience and loyalty during this transition. We are still dedicated to being the innovative company you have all grown to love. 

you can follow my story about life with ALS at facebook.com/every90minutes

Jay Smith, Founder
  • Thank you for taking the time to respond personally Jay. I can't image how hard things must be for you. I have the utmost respect for you and your team for creating industry defining tools for us all and supporting them even through these unfathomably tough times. I got hold of a DS1 in mint condition from eBay and so am over the moon. I am thoroughly enjoying playing it; it's is the most musical control I have ever used. I will follow your story and donate whenever I can.

Many thanks, Ed
  • Oh my. What a thing to deal with while running a company. My first instinct is to feel  bad for you, but I don't want to put my own feelings on to you . I've learned through my own tragedies and major life challenges that what people often assume they should respond to life altering news is exactly the wrong thing to say / and not what the person who is dealing with a life altering event wants to hear. So I will not presume to put any assumptions on to you.

In my line of work, I deal with a lot of music professionals and many producers, performers and combinations of both talents, creating electronic music. My job focuses mainly on the live production of music, and ticketed events for touring musicians. My personal favorite type of music is electronic based- but I work events that range the gamut of live acts playing any genre I can sell tickets for. I love it when my passion and work intersect and I can put on an event with electronic music components or a live / semi live electronic production.

Inevitably, when this happens, I end up yapping about gear with producers.  We are all alike in that we all love gear- I have found that universally true so far. Since I am a huge proponent for Livid gear, I usually steer the conversation to see if a) the musician has heard of Livid gear, b) Do they own any Livid gear? What is it? c) Have they gotten deep enough into Livid stuff to explore the "Brain" DIY stuff? d) Can we teach each other any thing? e) How fast can I run home, grab my soldering setup, a Brain Jr. expansion board, some faders/ buttons/ LEDs/ anything that I have ready to use... and create something on the spot?

This has happened a few times. I've only ever ran home and gotten my soldering setup one time... but that was a fun night! Backstage while people were getting all trashed, and I sat with a producer (I won't name drop) nerding out with touch strips I had just gotten in the mail, and making a Brain controller with my new friend, who was looking up info on his laptop when I got stumped or wanted to make sure I was attaching things correctly. What a scene that was.

What is much more common is that everyone who is making money off of their music, and touring to play in front of paying customers for a living knows about Livid Instruments products. They all know about Livid at a minimum. If they know any details, it is that they know the gear is built like tanks. I have found that over and over people say the Livid MIDI controllers are the gear to tour with because of it's physical strength and ability to withstand a beating- which is precisely what road gear gets- a beating. Getting set up, played and torn down, packed up and put in a vehicle,driven to either an airport or the next city, perhaps taken out into a hotel or directly into the next venue and set up to play all over again. That wears on gear fast. I have seen a lot of "popular" mixers, MIDI gear, synths, sequencers, and modular gear look like it has been through a war just from being played, taken down, packed up, driven, taken out and set up to play over and over. Things break. Elements you wouldn't think of something that would break- it does. Like MIDI over USB connection points wearing out, or the soldering of that unit cracking off the PCB and not working- or worse, intermittently working. Faders get dirt and dust inside the gap the fader needs to travel up and down / side to side and they start to "crackle" when used. This happens FAST. Headphone jacks and cue volume controls break and do not get attended to because the units still function on stage- though the performer is severely handicapped. There are a hundred things that happen to very famous and very high end gear you guys have all seen. Except one brand. Livid Instruments.

Sometimes these problems are inevitable. But when you see the same problem over and over happen to a specific piece of gear, and you do not see it happening to a counterpart identical component from a different manufacturer, you know that there is a fix- but it is probably just costly. Skimping on parts is what I see as the number one reason stuff wears out quickly on the road.

I give all this background because these issues are basically non existent in any traveling professional Livid gear I have seen. I bought my first Livid MIDI controller after I saw a performer use one and tell me all about it, and let me try it out during a soundcheck. It was the CNTRL:R and I bought one almost immediately after I took his for a test drive. 

I had been surfing controllers, finding aspects of one that I loved- but there was inevitably some issue that became a deal breaker. Not all MIDI controllers were (and still are not) so customizable. I bought MIDI controllers for use in Ableton by Novation, by Hercules (!YUK!,) by DJ Tech Tools MIDIFIGHTER 3D and TWISTER (awesome just not enough options,) I bought the entire Behringer CMD line of modular MIDI controllers. Those were actually pretty kickass, believe it or not. Being Behringer, for one, should make you skeptical- but the quality was extremely well made. And the fact that there were six different components seemed a bit ridiculous, but they were all really useful and I still have two of them that come in handy. The CMD line was my go to controller until I found Livid. It never caught on and it was just too damn big once you put it all together. I have no idea where they were going with that. It was just too much gear in the end. Then I got to use the CNTRL:R and found Livid. 

I had never seen a controller without a word printed on or below any button. I had not come across a controller so SOLID. Weighty. I hadn't found one that skimped on absolutely no components. Zero cheap pieces were substituted when it would have totally been possible. This is basically where conversations about Livid goods went when I spoke with any professionals about Livid products. How great they are built. And we'd often speculate about what was coming next. Some kind of DJ setup with platters? A sampler? A sequencer / drum machine? A return to the "elements" line was always a mouth watering prospect. (I have a couple I snagged off eBay just because... well, they are awesome) And as time wore on, I found myself having less and less conversations about what gear could be coming next or soon- and more speculating about why Livid seemed to be stuck in a limbo of sorts. Everyone wanted more Livid innovations and new controllers.

I really hope that the Livid products continue. I think that it is not too late to capitalize on the current wave of young people learning to code as well as the DIY crowd intersecting with bedroom producers. All these things, along with the incredible build quality of the Livid line have created a reputation- in every professional I have met - of quality, flexibility and road worthiness. Qualities very hard to come by in this corner of live performance gear. And if you guys decide on a comeback with new MIDI controllers, you can save a ton of advertising dollars by not advertising traditionally, but by giving demo units to travelling artists to use on stage. They all want more Livid gear, and are the best salesmen-ambassadors that money can't buy- those types of performer can't stop talking about gear- especially exceptionally made gear, like Livid products.

I hope it all works out for Livid and for you, sir. You are in my thoughts and I am hoping for the best for you and yours.
    Sincerely,

Spaker
    Rochester, NY