Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter

Very subjective Impressions on Base II Live script, and a request for modifications/trimmings?

edited March 2016 in Hardware
I've been working with the Ableton Remote Script for the Base, and it occurs to me that my favorite and only features are: 
1) The Pads mapped to play instruments and drum racks in Sends and Device modes, but I'd take either page
2) The shifted keyboard modifiers, not including split mode or the sequencer. Just vertical offset, base note, and scale
3) User mode for everything left over.

Is there either a way of deleting or overriding pages for the other native control features in the remote script within the .py such that I can either dedicate more pages to the User mode, or free them from the script entirely, and program the Base at will? Or should I create a m4l MIDI patch or rack of midi devices to do the same thing as the Shift-Mode buttons and just not use the remote script?

Furthermore, if I might add a request to the current remote script: I think the shifted feature of the Pads for modes 2 and/or 3 should just remain a functioning keyboard. That way, the top button scale modifiers can be used while playing, for transposition, chord changes, etc. There was a similar discussion that suggested play/stop on a clip would be best served in the same pad in the session grid, not to the stop button on the track scope of the LOM. In other words, I'm +1 that the shift-modified pads make things prone to misfires and confusion for me.

Here are my impressions of the other features: 
split mode doesn't offer me enough range for playing in instrument view. sequencer has same issue with the added imprecision that I'll never commit the overdub/new clip etc. buttons to muscle memory. 
Volume and return mapping on the faders is beautifully responsive, but without a number readout and a tap return to unity gain, I probably won't reach for them much. One less "head scratcher" when launching a clip and wondering why the next track came in so faint. 
Device mode has roughly the same issue: I can't look at the base itself and know which device is in focus. Therefore the thought of navigating through subdivides and sub chains would be like loosing the forest due to the trees. If you have a push sitting next to you or the computer itself, you'd see the readout, so why not just reach for that?
Track selection on the top buttons is worth keeping, but like the push 1 it doesn't seem to update with the group banking, so there's a bit of a fudge factor there when moving beyond the 8 tracks in focus. 
Clip launching is nice, but seeing 4 scenes on the pads is no more orienting than maximizing your clip and mixer and making only 4 scenes visible in your session.

Comments

• Sounds like you're in need of customization.  I don't expect Livid will be changing the existing script in the near future, but I'm happy to discuss a commissioned customization with you if you're interested.

Is there either a way of deleting or overriding pages for the other native control features in the remote script within the .py such that I can either dedicate more pages to the User mode, or free them from the script entirely, and program the Base at will? Or should I create a m4l MIDI patch or rack of midi devices to do the same thing as the Shift-Mode buttons and just not use the remote script?

Sure there are ways to do lots of different things.  Which is better?  Well, if you're not familiar with Python, probably m4l is going to be better.  It really depends on your exact needs, and how much time you want to spend learning how to accommodate  them.

Furthermore, if I might add a request to the current remote script: I think the shifted feature of the Pads for modes 2 and/or 3 should just remain a functioning keyboard.

I'd prefer it, too.  Unfortunately, there are technical reasons why that can't happen.   Sorry :(