Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter

Using encoder with push button shaft with Brain jr.

I have a bunch of encoders that I got off ebay for various projects.  They all have a push button shaft and 5 pins.  I can get the encoder portion to work using the L, R and C pins, but I cannot get the push button to work right. I tried to plug the remaining 2 pins into an open button pair on the header but that didn't seem to work either. So can both elements of these encoders work with the Brain Jr? 

Comments

• TorTor
    edited June 23

Hi, I am also trying to use a button shaft encoders with a brain jr. I don't really need the button function. The encoders I have are 5 pin. I've tried connecting just three pins for the encoder to the jr in all the combinations I could think of, but have had no luck so far. I can send a signal that changes values in only one direction. Changing the config in the editor to +/- doesn't seem to make any difference.

Below is a link to a page that discusses the same encoders I have. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! I don't even know enough to figure out if they are compatible. Lol, I'd hate to beat my head against a few two dollar components any longer if it's not going to work.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bigdanzblog.wordpress.com/2014/08/16/using-a-ky040-rotary-encoder-with-arduino/amp/

Thanks!

• Thanks Moon,

I was trying to isolate the  encoder with just three connections before. Unfortunately I don't get any response in the Brain Jr config when I connect the pins like you suggest. Should the GND also go to one of the headers on the brain? 

I don't mind hooking it up so the push button is active, even though it's not necessary to my goal.
  • TorTor
    edited June 24

I've been swapping around and experimenting,  This is the config I seemed to get the most out of. Maybe this will help.

header 2 (-) to GND
     header 2 (+) to DT
     header 4 (-) to CLK
     header 6 (-) to SW

I've linked a pic of my output. (couldn't get it to embed) The orange box is what I get when i turn the encoder in either direction. It's the same either way. The blue box is the response from when I press the button shaft. 

I can switch  the DT and CLK wires with no change in response in the tools window. When I swap the GND with the + pin on the encoder I receive no feedback in the tools window at all. Ive tried throwing the + pin wire into random headers in both columns but it doesn't seem to make much difference.
  • Here is an interesting thing to note as well. Brain Jr does not save my encoder settings. I can change other parameters in the V2 config, but boxes that are set to "yes" in the "enc?" column revert to "no" when i close the config and reopen it. Any other changes I make and save to the brain are reloaded. How odd. I am going to reinstall the config software and see what happens

• Typo in what i typed earlier

header 2 (+) to GND
     header 2 (-) to DT
     header 4 (-) to CLK
     header 6 (-) to SW

• TorTor
    edited June 26

Update I switched to using my second Brain Jr. There must be a problem with the first one I was using when it comes to saving encoder settings, as this one saves just fine. However, the response with this one in tools window are the same as what I reported above. 

• Thanks, it's cool. I figured a work around using two encoders, one to increase values and the other to decrease. One of these days I'll swap them out with the compatible ones that have grey code output.