Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter

Lots of Base II Ableton Issues in Windows 8.1, Ableton 9.1.6

Hi everyone! Thanks for taking the time to help me trouble shoot today. I have two main problems and one axillary question:

a). My first main problem is that after working in an Ableton project for an unidentifiable amount of time - I haven't been able to find a pattern yet - the base II script ceases to function. I don't know if it's too many channels, or the base II ableton script has some underlying instability, but after a number of times working on a project, the Base II script doesn't work in the project anymore. I've tried power cycling, cycling the script on and off using the "none" option for script in midi connections tab, I've tried cycling the base in and out (unplugging replugging), etc, and nothing seems to work. The really funny thing is that I can open a new Ableton project while working in an Ableton project where the script has stopped, and in the new project the Ableton Base II script starts right back up, no issues.

b). My second problem is that the LCD screen in my base II is inconsistent. It doesn't usually display the right scale code for the scale I'm working in. It's not a huge problem as my ears are pretty good, but I'd like to to be functional, so I tried updating the firmware as my first test to see if that fixed it, and I discovered along the way that the online editor doesn't detect the base II, which is frustrating. I have jazz plug in installed, and tried multiple power toggling options, but that didn't work. So, I ended up downloading the HIDbootloader.exe and updating the firmware manually, but that didn't fix the problem either. It seems to occur when I adjust the scale settings and then change channel/instrument. Then it only displays a d- on the lcd display to let me know that I'm in device mode, and I end up guessing around as to what scale and offset I'm in until I figure it out.

c). Lastly, my auxiliary question is whether there is a way for me to edit the python scripts? In user mode, I'd love a clip launcher in the pads and eight generic midi faders that I could tag between channels, nominally in such a way that I didn't have to change between channels to access the macros. So if I wanted a fader that adjusted several parameters across several channels for performance, I would have access to that, and I could have a clip launcher too. The other big change I want is for the scale/key/layout adjustment you do in an instrument channel to be saved across instrument in channels in device and send mode. It's really frustrating because if I have a bass instrument, and a drum pad, and want to switch between the two during a live performance, I have to dig through menus to readjust the scale/key-offset every time I want to overdub new notes, which puts hiccups in my set. And as some small addendums, I would want the master volume to be a pitchbender, I want the overdub/scene writing improved, and I want ways to trigger entire rows of clips. I figure that's a lot of changes, so it might just be better if I do the work myself, especially if people aren't universally interested in those changes. I don't know a great deal about coding, just a little bit. So hopefully tell me it's easy because I haven't coded in Python since I finished my undergraduate :P

Lastly in an effort to make the issues even more difficult to solve, I really need the majority of these problems fixed by Friday, because I have a gig coming up. But my schedule is pretty free, so I can put up my phone number or email address if that's a faster way to communicate these issues. I really can't tell you how much I appreciate the help! Music is my life ^_^

Thanks again!

Ben

Comments

• Hi Ben,

a) Is there a particular Live set that makes the script crash? Is it after minutes or hours?
    Can you share an example set that the script crashes in?

b) Not sure, about this one. Are you referencing the symbols from the wiki here:
    http://wiki.lividinstruments.com/wiki/Base_Ableton_Live_Remote_Script#Scale_Settings

c) Editing remote scripts is no small task. You will need to program in Python. There are many post on this forum which explain a bit and point to resources.

Hopefully we can figure out why the script is freezing before your gig tomorrow!

• Hi Ben,

a) Is there a particular Live set that makes the script crash? Is it after minutes or hours?
    Can you share an example set that the script crashes in?

b) Not sure, about this one. Are you referencing the symbols from the wiki here:
    http://wiki.lividinstruments.com/wiki/Base_Ableton_Live_Remote_Script#Scale_Settings

c) Editing remote scripts is no small task. You will need to program in Python. There are many post on this forum which explain a bit and point to resources.

Hopefully we can figure out why the script is freezing before your gig tomorrow!

• Oh, after a day of no answers I actually ended up returning it ^_^ I just needed something for the gig. Sorry for such a late response!