Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter

CNTRLR & Drum Steppr Noob Question

edited September 2014 in Hardware

I've had a Cntrl:r for a while now for DJing and it has bee great but I want to move more into live stuff triggering drums.  I've added the Drum Steppr but having a few problems with it.

When I add Drum Steppr to a midi channel, I add a drum rack after.  I can add simpler instruments with drum sounds I've prepared into pads 36 (C1) to 51 (D#2) as per the manual. Everything works fine. If I then fill other pads with simpler instruments, and move down or up to those pads, the mapping from simpler to Drum Steppr stops working. For example, the VE Velocity in Drum Steppr is moving ibut nothing is happening to the sound and checking the Simpler instrument shows the corresponding attach dial isn't moving.

Am I missing something really obvious here or am I only able to use pads 36 (C1) to 51 (D#2) and therefore only be able to use 16 sounds per Drum Steppr?
Tagged:

Comments

• Hi Makai,

This is Mike, are you using the Livid_CNTRLR script or the one from Aumhaa's repository. It is a weird behaviour because it should all work fine. Let me know which one you use so I can try and help you with this issue. What I think is that there is just a small thing that we are overlooking.

Keep It Spinnin'

Mike Bosch
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for helping me out on this. I'm using the Livid_CNTRLR script. Is the Aumhaa script better?

As I say, I'm jamming away nicely with the 16 pads C1 to D#2 but as soon as I add any above or below, I get problems.

Cheers 
  • Hi Makai,

The Aumhaa script is still in beta testing, but it is very stabile already. It has far more functionality as the Livid_CNTRLR script and will finally be the main script when all is ready.

You can get the script from here: https://github.com/aumhaa/mod

make sure you read the read.me file before use
  • Unfortunately I have to send this in parts due to some failure in the web page that occurs on my mac (very strange)

Anyway I will have a look at the drumsteppr today and see if I can reproduce your issue in some way. I will get back later and let you know if I found a solution for you.

Keep It Spinnin'

Mike Bosch
  • I had a similar problem with the webpage failing on my Macbook too.  With my original post, I couldn't get back onto the site for several hours.

I've downloaded the Aumhaa script and installed it but still get the same problem on my Macbook.  I decided to move across to my Windows PC to see if the issue was Mac related.  I'm still getting the same issue on my Windows PC.

To be a bit more precise, I'm ok with16 pads, adding another 16 pads below then throws up this error. The only pad that works correctly is the pad at the bottom left of the matrix, so the first pad/note.
  • So if I get it correct the only pad you can control is the pad on the bottom  left of the matrix (normally the kick)?

I will fire ableton up now and have a look
  • Hi Makai,

I just tested this and it should work ok. Have you got the cntrlr controls selected as the control surface in and outs for the CNTRLR? Also make sure you have track and remote checked in the midi in and out.

Another thing that might cause problems is if you have th IAC bus selected as remote for in and out.

Please check this and I will get back to you when I have your answer.

Mike
  • Yes, that's correct.  The 4 dials at the bottom (Repeat, Groove, Random & RotSize) all work ok.  The 8 encoders above them aren't connecting to the drum rack, so visually I can see them moving in the Drum Steppr but they aren't' affecting anything in the drum rack.

I've just checked the control surface ins & outs and that track and remote are selected for each. That's all as it should be.  I've removed all other midi ins and outs that I had on for other devices to see if that was the issue but it's not. For now, the only midi in & outs that I have selected track & remote for are Livid_CNTRLR Input (Cntrl_r).
  • There is a beta version of the Steppr's available in my Mod repository here:

Make sure to view the readme file and follow the instructions there.  You'll need to use the MIDI Remote Scripts as well as the stepprs from the repository in order for everything to work properly.  Let me know if you're still having issues with the new m4l patch.

a

• Ok, I added the scripts to the scripts folder, selected it in Ableton preferences.  Then I added the DrumSteppr in Mod repository but it doesn't work.  It loads into Ableton but doesn't work.  I can add a drum rack afterwards but nothing is working on the DrumSteppr.  I'm able to play the pads/sounds through the Cntrl:r/drum rack but nothing is connecting to the DrumSteppr.

• HI Makai,

make sure you follow the instructions correctly to use the drumsteppr mod. You have to make sure that the monomodular master folder is also copied to your Max for Live packages folder.

• What Mike said, except for the correct folder is ~/Documents/Max 6/Packages.  You can also put it inside Applications/Max 6/Packages.  You may need to rename the "Mod-master" folder to "Mod", depending on how you downloaded it.

a

• Ok, followed all that to the letter and it's working great now.  Was still having a couple of issues but after changing the folder name from 'Mod-Master' to 'Mod', its all working correctly.  I'll give it a good run out tomorrow but looks like it's working as it should now.

Thanks for your help on this guys, I appreciate your time. I'll let you know if there's any further issues tomorrow.
  • Great it is working for you now. I will be online tomorrow so if there is anything that you need me for I will be checking the forum regularly and get back to you.

Take care and enjoy the drumsteppr.
  • Thanks for the update, I'll change the readme to say that the folder needs to be renamed. 

a

• Hey Amounra,

It is a bit strange because I didn't rename any folder and it does work for me. I placed the folder in Applications/Max 6/packages without renaming the folder, which works for me.

Mike Bosch