Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter

CNTRL:R & Ableton 9 Remote Scripts

Hello, I have recently purchased a CNTRL:R and intend on clearing out almost all the mappings from the factory remote script, with one notable exception:

I'd like to start from scratch on my own MIDI remote script, but keep the navigation reticle for clip triggering (button matrix 0-15 for launching clips, with buttons 28-31 for moving up/down/left/right), however, I use only 3 tracks for clip triggering.

How would I go about changing the fourth row of buttons (12, 13, 14, 15) for scene launches in the master channel?
I ask because I have more than 3 tracks, so it presently selects clips from the fourth track.

Do Livid devices fare well with shift buttons, i.e. a momentary button which changes the functions of other buttons while held down?
I'd like to be able to hold a shift button down, and trigger clips in the fourth track, and have it go back to triggering scene launches in the master track while it's released.

I realize the shift function could get complicated to implement, so for now I'm more interested in setting up the fourth row of buttons to control the master track.

If it helps, here is a screenshot of the template I work with:
Tagged:

Comments

• Bumping this, and saying that the shift button is even less critical now; I'd just like to get started on my own MIDI remote script to suit my purposes, any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

• Hi milkthistle,

My name is Mike Bosch and I tried to reply earlier, but for some reason it didn't get posted. What script are you on at the moment? Are you using the Livid_CNTRLR script or the one from the aumhaa repository, because they work different.

In any case Amounra is the one to help you with this, since he is the master of the scripting for the CNTRL:R.

Mike Bosch
  • I'm using the Livid_CNTRLR script, but again, I'd like to start a new script (whether that'd be completely new or building off of some features of the Livid_CNTRLR script I don't know). Ultimately I'll be mapping the various controls to macros within Ableton, and I'd like to do that within the script instead of Ableton's in-program MIDI mapping.

• Hmmm yeah you definitely need Amounra for this. Try send him a message or email and I'm sure he'll help you out.

• Writing a Python script for Ableton isn't a small undertaking....do you have any experience with Python, or programming in other languages?  

a

• I do not have experience with it, no. A friend pointed me to a free coding educational resource and I was planning on studying that, as well as reviewing existing remote scripts.

• I suggest you study it first and get familiar with it, because especially with Ableton scripts it is pretty intensive and difficult. They have broken scripts with their updates in 9.1.2 and 9.1.3. And then you would have to change it again and dig into the scripts and framework.

It would be better if you would make a few changes to the existing script, since Livid will update them and then you would only need to make the changes according to your needs. I have modified a few things with the help and instructions from Amounra as well.
  • Good to know, thank you. I'll be studying python scripting diligently, modifying as necessary, and posting back to this thread if and when I run into any roadblocks.

• Most of the available literature out there for Live remote scripting is rather out of date, I'm afraid.  Most of us that do this sort of thing learn from reading the _Framework scripts:

The best place to start in my opinion is to take an existing script and modify it to suit your own needs.  If you have questions about specifics, let me know.  I 'm glad to help how I can.

a

• Does anyone know why Ableton keeps changing the remote scripting?

The big reason I switched to the CNTRL:R was actually because I have been using an APC40, which has a lot of design quirks that don't suit me, and a custom template/remote script I used kept getting rendered unusable by the updates.
  • There were some much needed internal changes made recently.  Keep in mind, the framework they've been using is 10 years old now, and a lot of additions have been made with the introduction of Push.  A lot of inadequacies of the original framework have been ironed out, but you can't do that sort of thing without raising a little hell.  Things have probably settled down for a while.  We'll be making some large changes ourselves in coming months, though, so now is probably a good time to start working.  I keep work-in-progress scripts in my repository, so generally you won't get too caught off guard if you keep an eye on the activity there.

(Of course none of this profits from the fact that the scripts aren't public in the first place....)

a

• Also you can turn off the auto update!

• Ok, the first thing I would like to do is eliminate the factory script's device functionality for the rotary encoders at the center of the CNTRL:R.

The mapping I want to use will set each encoder permanently to EQ and trim functions. I also intend to use the push-button functions to select tracks.
    What parts of the factory script should I delete, so that they won't conflict with the mappings I make?

As it is right now, I think the device lock and device enable functions of the factory script are conflicting with what I'm trying to do. I'd like to eliminate the device navigation functions as well, because I'll be using static assignments for each encoder.
  • I should also add that this mapping/template will not make use of the Max For Live Mod's, and I'll be looking to eliminate all references to those in the script, in order to make it simpler to edit and follow on my end.

What should I take out of the script if I have no interest in using the Mods?
  • Which script are you using, the official script from the Livid installer or the beta from the Mod repository?

a

• I'm using the template from the installer

• There is a new and vastly different script in the working (I'm finishing up the major changes of it this weekend), which besides using the newer, more malleable Live9 _Framework methods, also implements a different layout, more intelligent mod implementation, Python based sequencing, and different navigation methods.  I would recommend waiting for the new finished script before going to much trouble with the old one....

General answers:  removing mod functionality in either script is fairly trivial.

Are you using m4l at all?  The new script has some override funtionality which may make it easier to achieve some of your aims without the need to get your hands dirty in Python.

It is a simple matter to override any of the script functions by midi-learning a control you want to override with Ableton's built-in MIDIMapping.

a

• So far, I only use a M4L brake effect with my template, but yes, I have Suite 9 and with that Max For Live.

I was having trouble with the MIDI learn; I was experiencing a problem where pushing the encoder buttons changed the position of the encoders.

I'm also interested in changing the LED colors; I tried doing this from the online editor but it changes to the defaults whenever I boot Ableton. Should I use the Mod script file to change color mappings?