Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter

How to connect multiple Brains to the same computer.

edited August 2014 in Hardware

Hi all there, 

I need to advice with this too things.

1-Conect multiple brains to the same computer, and see them as different ones ( i suppose i have to change the ID of them so my DAW can see them? ) 
2-Physically chain two brains, so is seen as one in my DAW. 

As we are building DIY controllers would be nice to be able to have custom names for them anyway. (:

Thx!
a

Tagged:

Comments

• Are you using the brain v2?

We have made "Alias" firmwares that we can share with you. So one brain will show up as Brain2A and the other as Brain2B.

To chain two brains together you can use the MIDI ports. If you need LED feedback on the daisy chained brain, then you'll need a special firmware, that we can provide!

• Nice!! 

Yes, i m using BrainV2, and i need led feedback on them, 

How nice is to have problems and get ride of them in 10 min!
    Should i give you my email or there is a repo ?
    Thx! 

a
  • You can download the alias version here:

http://wiki.lividinstruments.com/wiki/Updating_Your_Firmware#Current_Firmware_Downloads

So, if your brains are up to date, your two brains are running v189. Then you will want to load one of them with v189alias. This is the easiest way to run two brains. In this set up you'll have 2 USB cables.

If you need to go the other route with one usb cable and two MIDI cables daisy chaining the 2nd brain, let me know.

• Mark,

thanks!
    Yes, indeed i need the midi version as well, (there are two different projects). 

And its possible to a have a 3th and 4th, etc?
    a
  • We have up to 12 alias firmware versions!

I'll find the Brain v2 firmware that works with the LED feedback through the midi jacks. I'll forward it on to your email.

• I know that's an old thread., hope it's still valid.

I'm currently runnign two brain v2's. One flashed with the v202 and one with the v202-alias firmware (from http://wiki.lividinstruments.com/wiki/Updating_Your_Firmware#Current_Firmware_Downloads). However, both devices are working, but show up with the same identifier.

Am I doing something wrong or are the available versions incorrect?

• Hi Justin,

I'm on Windows 8.1 x64. I noticed the problem in Ableton Live and Midi Ox / had no other hosts tested right now.

I have to check the exact identifier tomorrow in my setup, but I think it's "Brain2" + something like "Brain2 MIDIIN" for each of the units.

• Actually both show as:

"Brain2b" and "Brain MIDIIN2"

• edited November 2015

Ok, please have a look at the pictures in that share:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g49szkr9os021tz/AACcfxEHXSZ8A2UaHhrsul7Ya?dl=0

If I plug my two Brain2's (let's call them "X" and "Y") in the following scenarios happen:

• only Brain X --> device gets labeled "Brain2"
    • only Brain Y --> device gets labeled "Brain2B"
    • first Brain X, then Brain Y --> both are labeled "Brain2B"
    • first Brain Y, then Brain X --> both are labeled "Brain2"

The screenshots are taken from MidiOx but the same is true for Ableton Live (beside that Live adds a #n with n = 2,3,4... for device duplicates, but that doesn't help identifying the right one).

EDIT, followup: I just double checked the behaviour of MidiOx/Live by writing a simple miditest two-liner in C# and having a direct look at the Win32.MIDIIN caps. As expected they are the same as well if both devices are plugged in (https://www.dropbox.com/s/gjhqusmgec3pdrz/midiin_caps.png?dl=0). Therefore there is no way for the software side to distinguish between the devices.

• Dear folks at Livid - do you need any further information?

Currently, this problem prevents me from having a stable setup. I have to reassign the midi configuration each start what takes quite some time and troubleshooting as the midi enumeration is non-deterministic. I'd really appreciate this getting solved anyhow.

Cheers
    Moritz

• Hi Justin, this happens with different machines (despite all of them run under Win8.1 x64). I'll google the windows site of it as well.

Sysex may be a first workaround. Can you tell me the sysex request/response pattern for the identification? Than I'm going to have a look at it.

• Hi,

the problem can be tracked down a bit. I had a closer look at the devices in a tool called "USB Device Tree View" (a similar tool to Microsofts UsbView from the devkit) and it turns out that the device names are correct and consistent there.

So it seems like the windows/midi part is where the problem arises. Does this help to figure out how to solve it?

@Moon Could you tell me the sysex syntax (or where to find it) anyway? I don't know how long it will take until this is fixed.

btw: here is the related stackoverflow topic: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33960352/inconsistent-midi-naming-when-using-multiple-devices-of-the-same-type

• I just installed the 2.02 / 2.02 alias firmware on my two brain controllers. Unfortunately the naming issue still exists. I had a closer look at it and found a really weird behaviour. Allthough I think/hope the problem lies in the Win32API interface, other programs like AbletonLive or even the BrainConfigure app seem to have the same problem.  

The problem

Please have a look at this stackoverflow topic where I reproduce the problem in an other aspect: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/36870322/midiingetdevcaps-winmm-dll-returns-wrong-inconsistent-result

I really like to see this beeing solved. I'm not sure if this is a firmware or a windows bug. (Or some weird constellation - but rather unlikely as the problem is present on [all] different computers.)

• Success Using Multiple BrainV2’s

Hi

I have had some good experience in an on-going controller project over the past 2 years using 2 Brain V2 controllers. To cut a long story short, after upgrading my computer OS from Windows XP to Windows 10 (32bit version) I have found with experimentation a reliable and stable system, able to run 5 virtual instruments,  4 midi controller keyboards and a Brain Junior. When using USB cables to connect a controller using 2 or more Brain V2’s, I have found it is important to switch-on the Brains’ in the correct order. For example, if I want to use a virtual instrument that’s’ using 2 Brain V2’s and a keyboard controller, I would first switch-on the keyboard controller, then the ‘Brain2’, load the virtual instrument and check it’s all working. Next I would switch-on the ‘Brain2B’ and go to the instrument ‘MIDI setup options’ and select the ‘Brain2B’ device, NOT the ‘MIDIIN2’!  Everything should be working OK. If I try to switch on everything at the same time, I will usually have a problem with one of the Brain’s not apparently working. Another observation I found is, the older version of the virtual instrument did not distinguish between the 2 Brain V2’s, but the latest version works well. I hope my findings are of some use to other users of multiple Brain V2 setups.

Request: Could you send me a ‘C’ version of the Firmware so I can use it for a future third Brain V2 purchase please?

Regards

Steve