Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter

BASE E3 Sustain

edited January 2014 in Hardware

Hello.

Is there a way to make note "E3" not function as a sustain?  Sustain is occurring whenever I use the note "E3" no matter what pad it is on. When I look at the editor it doesn't seem to correspond with a pad being assigned to cc#64(sustain). 

Thoughts?
Tagged:

Comments

• Hello.

Thanks for posting up on this.

I will try to clarify. First off, I am using the Ableton Live 9 script. The sustain problem happens to whatever FSR Pad happens to be note E3. This could potentially be any FSR Pad on the whole instrument. In fact, when there are two E3s mapped to the FSR Pads, (as in using C Major scale mapping with a root note of  C2) hitting one will turn on the sustain for all notes following until I hit the other. (which would make sense) Do I need to disable the CC's on all of the FSR Pads then? 

I really appreciate the help.
  • Ok, that makes sense.....Yes, E3 is note 64 in Live, which corresponds to CC64.  The CC's should be turned off for everything but UserMode's if you're using the Base script.  If you want to turn them off via the script for UserMode, I can tell you how to edit the .py file, it's a pretty easy fix I think.

The easiest way, however, to deal with this is to map CC64 coming from the Base to an empty Macro knob.  Then you can forget about it ;)

a

•  The saga continues...

I mapped CC64 to a empty macro, didn't fix the issue.
    I turned off all of the CC's on the editor, didn't fix the issue. 
    Either of these fixes totally make sense, thanks for bringing them up.  Not really sure why they don't work. I always assume user error, but I just can't think of what I might be doing wrong.

Weird.
  • Hi,

Until now I thought that I was the only person dealing with this, because there were no threads about this before. It would be great if you show how to turn off the CC's in the script amounra, I tried to fix this for many times, but cant get it to work properly.

• edited February 2014

Sorry, I missed this somehow.

The script sends out sysex telling Base's pads whether to send out CC's or not.  The modes are listed as constants at the top of the Base.py file, and you can redefine them there if you want. 

USERBUTTONMODE = (240, 0, 1, 97, 12, 66, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 247)
    MIDIBUTTONMODE = (240, 0, 1, 97, 12, 66, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 247)
    LIVEBUTTONMODE = (240, 0, 1, 97, 12, 66, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 247)
    SPLITBUTTONMODE = (240, 0, 1, 97, 12, 66, 3, 3, 3, 3, 5, 5, 5, 5, 3, 3, 3, 3, 5, 5, 5, 5, 3, 3, 3, 3, 5, 5, 5, 5, 3, 3, 3, 3, 5, 5, 5, 5, 247)

Each of the "3" integers in MIDIBUTTONMODE is the assignment for one of the pads.  There are 32 of them.  

1 = send CC's, variable Velocity.
    3 = CC's off, variable Velocity.
    5 = CC's off, fixed Velocity.

These values are sent out dependent upon which mode Base is in.  You can reassign all the values of a particular mode individually, or en masse. 

Since the only definition that sends CC's is USERBUTTONMODE, the easiest solution is to just redefine it by adding this after the black that defines all these:

USERBUTTONMODE = MIDIBUTTONMODE

Does that work?

a

• Yes!  

Thank you so much.

Awesome.

t
  • Hello again.

This fix seems to no longer work.  

Has anything changed?

Thanks.

T
  • With the newest script, this shouldn't be an issue since the pads now send aftertouch by default.  However, I just became aware that the link to our scripts hasn't been updated in a couple places, so its possible you're still using the old version of the script.  I'll update you when I verify it's straightened out with the correct link to the current scripts.

a

• edited October 2014

Ok.  Thanks again.  

New question:  Did we lose the second octave of the drum rack?
    As in the right side used to be purple and you could play it. now it is just blank.

• There's not really a way to consolidate the native Live DrumRack functions (mute/solo/select) with the standard MIDI functions.  The intention is that you can explicitly set the "DrumPad" scale for a particular channel and get standard MIDI output on all 32 pads (just like you would when assigning the DrumPad scale to a non-DrumRack track), however this didn't make the release.  

I've finished implemented it in the _Mono_Framework just now (thanks for mentioning it), and you can engage this functionality by downloading the files from my Mod repository and replacing the _Mono_Framework folder in Live's MIDI Remote Scripts manually with the one in my repository at /Mod-master/Python Scripts/_Mono_Framework.  We'll be updating the installer soon when I'm finished with an update of the CNTRL:R script.

Just assign the channel's scale to "DrumPad" and you'll get 32 pads instead of 16 for a DrumRack (or anything else).  Let me know if you find any bugs using it, the "DrumPad" scale hasn't been tested with DrumRacks much in the rebaked script we just released.

FWIW, I have some plans for those buttons on the right side of the DrumRack, but we didn't have time to flesh it out before release.  No guarantees, but hopefully you'll see something cool there soon.

a