Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter

Brain Jr.: Any way to change MIDI channel on the fly?

edited January 2014 in Hardware

I'm thinking of using a Brain Jr. on a project, but I would like to be able to change the MIDI channel dynamically to affect different pieces of equipment.  By 'dynamically' I mean by using a knob or switch connected to the Brain Jr.  Is this possible?

I see that the Alias 8 has this functionality, and I assume that it is using something similar to the Brain Jr. internally (more likely a Brain V2).  However, it may be using custom firmware to achieve this...
Tagged:

Comments

• i could be wrong but i think its doable, i'd say its a software thing, i.e need to place control change (CC) messages on the track in ur DAW and make that change the channel no, or else map on/off buttons to the different channel no's!? thats my best guess anyway! dont hold me to it!! Alan

• Thanks for your response.  I should be more clear: I don't want to change anything on external equipment or software, I just want to change the MIDI channel for outgoing messages from the Brain Jr. by turning a knob (or moving a switch) attached to the Brain Jr. itself.  Obviously a useful feature, since it is implemented on the Alias 8...

• Hello Moon.  Thanks for the response.  The sysex message doesn't really help me, but it's good to know that each control can send on its own MIDI channel.  In that case, there are two ways to achieve (easy) user control of the MIDI channel: (1) assigning some control to change the 'global' MIDI channel, which would require individual controls to have some type of 'follow global' option for their MIDI channel assignment (otherwise they would use their assigned MIDI channel), or (2) using some control to select presets, which would swap in a different set of controller assignments for all controls when a different preset is selected.  #2 affects the editor much more (and memory on the microcontroller), so #1 is probably the easier solution to implement.  Presets are more flexible, however.  It would be nice to be able to map buttons to presets, so pushing a button recalls a preset (and the LED associated with the button lights up).  I doubt anyone would need more than 4 presets...

But it would be a significant firmware change either way, and maybe there aren't enough people interested in this functionality to make it worth the effort.  A Novation Launch Control has 16 pots, 8 buttons, and 8 user presets and costs $80.  Probably the best option for me at this time...  
  • I may be changing my mind, as I know I can make a controller with much better pots than Novation is using (and I have control over how the pots are arranged).  However, I would like to get an idea how fast the pots are being polled with the Brain Jr.  I will be using 16 pots, and I don't want to have stepping when I modify synth parameters.  Naturally, I would never be turning 16 pots at once--probably only two at a time maximum...

• Thanks for the additional info.  I did understand the global channels, but they don't help if you want to quickly change to controlling another piece of equipment--changing the MIDI channel is the best way to do that...

Are the pot positions sent as 7-bit MIDI CC values?
  • "The 'global channels' are MIDI Channels."

Yes, but if there is no way to change the MIDI channel except via the editor, that does not qualify as "on the fly" which was the point of my original question...

I've decided to order a Brain Jr. since I want to get something running quickly.  If I have any questions, I'll start another thread.  Thanks for your responses...