Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter

Midi foot pedal with brain jr HELP! UPDATE

edited May 2014 in Hardware

I want to build a midi for controller using the brain jr.

I have a couple of questions before I go ahead and order everything.

Can I use guitar stop box switches instead of arcade buttons?

Also I want to add a female quarter inch jack for a midi expression pedal. Is that possible? If so where would I go about plugging that in?

Lastly will this work with iOS on my ipad? I want to use it with an app called loopy.

When done I'll post up a video of me using my custom pedal if everything get done right.

UPDATE
I'm having trouble when plugging in the quarter inch jacks. I soldered them 3 wires all on one side and then plugged them in on the brain jr, ground, signal, then voltage. Then I put jumpers in the rest of the slots that I was not using. After that I lost the blue light that lights up on the brain jr when plugged in and my leds would not turn on.

Comments

• You can use any buttons.switches you like.

The 1/4" jack would connect to the analog circuit. Normally: sleeve - GND, ring - #(signal), tip - +(voltage).

The brain jr is a USB class compliant midi device, so it should work with anything that accepts USB midi.

Please share when you're done!

• edited February 2014

I'm doing something very similar - I bought a load of stomp box foot switches from a seller on eBay. They're normally-open, single-pole, momentary action. Make sure you don't buy the normal latching type that click on and click off, as those won't suit most functions. You can use "btn as toggle" in the BrainJr editor tool to set up latching with a momentary switch, giving you more flexibility if you want to reassign buttons.

I'm using a stereo jack for my expression pedal input, and was going to use the wiring Mark suggests above, as it seems to be pretty standard. I'm also tempted to include a polarity switch that reverses the sleeve and tip connections in case I temporarily want my values to sweep the other way without having to re-wire my BrainJr or go into the editor.
  • I am planning to make a box able to receive three analog pedals to convert to Midi control change.
    There are two things that are usually problematic when using cc pedals:
    the way they catch up a controller ( some call it pickup mode),
    the calibration of the pedal range

I cannot see if it possible to download the editor that comes with Brain Jr to check about these things.
    Does anyone know ?

thanks

• Here is the page for the downloads:

http://lividinstruments.com/support_downloads.php

You're looking for Brainv2/BrainJR configure software.

• I need help correctly soldering and plugging in the quarter inch jacks. when done i will post a tutorial with pictures.

• Ok what do you need help with? How many jacks?

• UPDATE I'm having trouble when plugging in the quarter inch jacks. I soldered them 3 wires all on one side and then plugged them in on the brain jr, ground, signal, then voltage. Then I put jumpers in the rest of the slots that I was not using. After that I lost the blue light that lights up on the brain jr when plugged in and my leds would not turn on.

• I have 5 jacks that are all the same by the way.

• If the blue light goes off, then that means you have a short circuit somewhere the ground is touching the voltage. Try removing the jumpers. You can always disable the analog channels you are not using in the editor. Then jumping is not necessary.

With the jumpers removed is the blue light still going off?

If yes, then you may have something mixed around between the jacks and the brain jr.. A picture might help at this point. Does the light only go off when you connect a 1/4" jack?

• Thank you. I re plugged everything in and it's working. Now how would I go about testing the expression pedal?

• You can connect an expression pedal and use the midi monitor in the tools section of the brain v2 configuration software to view the midi data. Be sure that any unused analog inputs are disabled.

• Everything works. thank you for all yur help I will post a link with the tutorial as soon as I can.

• Great! Looking forward to it.