Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter

Question about connecting an expression pedal to analog in (Brain v.1)

edited October 2013 in Hardware

Hallo,

for my Hammond MIDI controller I need to connect an expression pedal to a Brain's analog input (I need it to control the Volume).

I looked at your YouTube tutorials (this one:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuySTcMex5w) but it leaves me with a question:
Since I can't assume that the pedal would be always connected (One could forgot it at home, or the pedal could die during a gig... etc), does the wiper pin of the female jack has to be connected to GND (or V) when the pedal isn't connected? 
Or, putting the question in another way: Do I have to get a stereo female jack with a switch so that the wiper can be short circuited to V or GND when the pedal is not connected?

Thank you!

Stefano

Comments

• If you are not using a wiper, you will need it to be grounded or disabled in the editor.

• Thank you Mark!

Stefano
  • One more question Mark.

I've got a famale jack with a switch, so when the pedal jack is plugged out the analog signal pin is automatically grounded.

I haven't soldered it yet, but it should work, right?

The problem:
    I expect that when Signal is grounded, the CC value from that analog input will drop to 0.
    I need that the CC value remain at least at 64 (more or less) so that even without the volume pedal connected I have some volume from my device.
    Could I solve this issue by putting a resistor between the GND and the Signal? Could it work? What value should the resistor have?

Tahnks for you help
    Stefano
  • Hallo again,

I solved connecting the female jack so that when the pedal isn't connected the wiper is "short circuited" to V+ so to the Brain it looks like the signal it is at its maximum.

Stefano