Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter

Base Live 9 Remote Script / Track Select Multiple Tracks Armed

edited May 2013 in Hardware

Forgive me if this is a n00b or Ableton question, but I was wondering if there was a way around the following issue.

Whenever I'm in Device mode (or any of the first 3 modes for that matter) I notice that whenever I select different tracks, each one gets armed instead of ONLY the track that I've selected getting armed.

Is there a way around this? I just want to be able to arm/select one track at a time when using the remote script.

Thanks!

Comments

• when you hold down one of the first three buttons it puts it into "shift" mode where you can disable the arm.

• I know that's the built in functionality, but is there anyway to prevent multiple tracks being armed whenever you select different tracks without having to hold shift and disarm the unwanted track?

It's kind of an annoyance, especially if you're in a live situation and you're trying to move between tracks on the fly to play instruments or even in the production scenario whenever you're trying to seamlessly navigate from instrument to instrument.

• There is a flag in the Map.py file that you can change to "False" in order to disable AutoArming completely:

AUTO_ARM_SELECTED = False

However, there isn't currently a solution for disarming tracks that have been autoarmed when leaving them.  I'm currently working on a better solution for this.

a

• Thanks for the feedback amounra, I'll work around it for now since I still have my APC. Look forward to your updates!

• edited May 2013

Definitely make sure that each midi track is receiving midi on a unique midi channel - make sure it lines up with what the Base is transmitting on for that track. This way (at least as far as midi instruments go) you shouldn't have to worry too much about them all being armed.

While we're on the subject of the script though, there are a few things I've been meaning to mention.

-Selecting the master track: when I mapped a button to select the master track so that I could control devices there I found that the script "freezes". That is to say all other buttons cease to function until I select a track other than the master track with the mouse or another controller.

-When in split mode the 8 instrument pads in the top left send note out at MAX velocity only. This is true regardless of whether it is a drum rack or instrument. The bottom eight pads function normally though.

-Not sure if this is a bug or not, but I noticed that if I press two of the function buttons at once the script locks into the arm/mute/solo page. Since you can get out of it by pressing any other function button I actually kind of like this, so it might be worth not "fixing".

...and a few suggestions for thinking about:

- What if on page 2 - the sends page, instead of of the bottom 4 function buttons acting as clip launch navigation (the red box) it might be nice if 2 were octave up and down. The other two could be, if possible, used to navigate through scale "presets". This is probably just dreaming, but I thought it would be cool if you could save scale presets somehow - even if it were only a couple. For example if you were playing an instrument and wanted to switch from playing B flat minor to F dominant you could scroll or toggle between the two using the two remaining function buttons. A long shot, I know, but a guy can dream...  Let me know if haven't quite explained this one clearly. Octave up and down would be helpful though.

-What are peoples feelings on giving up one column of clip launch buttons in exchange for scene launch buttons?

I should mention I'm using OSX (10.6.8) with Live 9.02 (haven't upgraded to the newest version yet - I'll let you know if things change when I do) and firmware version 1.16 for the BASE

Whew! All that said, I'm loving playing the BASE and really appreciate all the hard work you all have put into making it a sweet instrument.

Mansfield